How do I compile the source code?

Hello! I'm a programmer and I tried to tinker around with FreeBSD's source code and try to understand it.

I would like to know, How can I test a change I made?

I don't know if I got the terminology right (I usually use python), but I believe I need to "compile it" and would like to know how to do so.

Do I turn the source code into a bootable image like an ISO? If so, how? Or do I need something else?

this is the original code I worked with: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd

I don't know if I got the terminology right (I usually use python), but I believe I need to "compile it" and would like to know how to do so.
Yes, C code is compiled. It does need to do a few other things too, like linking. Going from a source code file to a working executable actually takes multiple steps. It takes even more steps to produce a bootable image. Luckily most of that process is automated.

Do I turn the source code into a bootable image like an ISO?
You should start by getting familiar with the build(7) process. Once you're comfortable building what we call "world" and the kernel you can take a look at building your own release(7). Don't try to run before you've learned how to walk.

Yes, C code is compiled. It does need to do a few other things too, like linking. Going from a source code file to a working executable actually takes multiple steps. It takes even more steps to produce a bootable image. Luckily most of that process is automated.

You should start by getting familiar with the build(7) process. Once your comfortable building what we call "world" and the kernel you can take a look at building your own release(7). Don't try to run before you've learned how to walk.
thx i'll check it out!

Hello! I'm a programmer and I tried to tinker around with FreeBSD's source code and try to understand it.
Install a FreeBSD VM in your running Mac/Linux/Windows system. A bare, basic text mode system w/ some useful utilities added is fully sufficient. E.g. pkg install {de,en}-freebsd-doc (replace de w/ your native tongue), editors/vim, misc/mc (Midnight Commander) & www/links (or lynx). Then read & explore /usr/src.
I would like to know, How can I test a change I made?
RTFM build(7) and RTFM FreeBSD Handbook.
Uh, you seem to be lacking some basics here. Search for an introduction on SW-development & Computer Science.
EDIT there's no hebrew translation for the freebsd-doc. Should you speak russian, you can install that one. The english version is the most timely one, anyway.

Back