how differnt are the bash shell commands gonna be

as the title says, im currently learning how to use the bash shell in linux (ive got a lil book and everything), ive always been interesting in BSD. but im wondering if my bash shell knowledge will transfer over, or am i going to have to learn an whole new set of commands in order to use the os, and set things up.

thanks

You are going to have to learn a whole new set of commands in order to use the os, and set things up.

A shell (like bash) is just a command interface to the operating system. Bash on FreeBSD is the same as Bash on Linux. FreeBSD is not Linux, though.

any good books on this. the one i have for linux is "Linux Phrasebook" by Scott Granneman and it is a great lil book. anything similar for BSD?

MikeyIckey said:
I really like Absolute FreeBSD 2nd addition by Michael W. Lucas.

Great book but certainly not one for someone looking into improving their knowledge of the shell.

I guess a lot depends on what Vinyl actually means by 'using the bash shell'.

If it's shell programming he's talking about, he'll probably find that there's not that much difference -- as long as you know where commands on FreeBSD are.

If it's about using the shell as a command line interface to the OS, it's not really bash he'll have to learn, but FreeBSD and its commands, directory hierarchies, etc. Then the Handbook is in order, or some entry-level FreeBSD book, which are usually available in PDF form around the net.

sooo many issues. none of my network devices work. and so far i can only get the default window manager to load...

Vinyl said:
sooo many issues. none of my network devices work. and so far i can only get the default window manager to load...

ok scratch that... gnome is working..kinda

but i have no network connections... i cannot get it to detect my intel pro wireless 4965

and no sound...

so so far what is working is:
gnome (slowly)
my screen resolution

and im trying to work with the handbook btw

i do not see an edit button so im going to post here

a: everything i gnome seems way to big
b: when i click on sound preferences i get a dialog box saying " Waiting for sound system to respond"
c: no network devices detected that i can use, especially my intel wireless 4965 card

side note: im trying to do this on a dell xps m1530

Don't you have wired networking enabled?

Anyways, you can mount a removable drive. Just monitor the output of % dmesg to see the removable drive and mount it.

Vinyl said:
as the title says, im currently learning how to use the bash shell in linux (ive got a lil book and everything), ive always been interesting in BSD. but im wondering if my bash shell knowledge will transfer over, or am i going to have to learn an whole new set of commands in order to use the os, and set things up.

thanks

I learned bash on FreeBSD and Linux with the O'Reilly book "Learning the bash Shell."

Careful with your choices.....

Vinyl said:

thanks

If bash is your passion go for it and as previous posters have stated bash is bash the world over. I will advise that you also get acclimated to sh as it is the default shell and can be used in situations where bash is not available. Just food for thought.

Back