How did you come to the FreeBSD world?

Here is my line OS evolution:

Commodore 64 (1988-1993) -> DOS (1993-1995) -> Windows95 (1995-1996) -> Solaris (1996-1999) -> Red Hat (1999-2003) -> Debian (2003-2010) -> freeBSD (just for the last two days)

Commodore 64 -> MS-DOS 6.x -> MS-Windows 3.x -> MS-Windows 9x -> SuSE Linux -> Debian Linux -> FreeBSD 4.3 ... FreeBSD 5.1 -> Gentoo Linux -> FreeBSD 5.3 ... FreeBSD 6.x -> Gentoo Linux -> FreeBSD 7.0 ... FreeBSD 8.1 (now)

As you see, I tried Linux a few times... but it's so annoying not to have a reasonable ports collection and a working update system... I always ended up using FreeBSD.

As you see, I skipped 5.2 ... this was the worst nightmare of all FreeBSDs for me.

I also changed to FreeBSD for the first time because I noticed two things:
  1. FreeBSD ports collection has always fresh software (Debian lagged terribly).
  2. I noticed someone ported a piece of software written by me. I wanted to help taking care of it.

As it might happen to a lot of people here, I came by via accident / Google help or leading me to this site. After reading a couple of posts and articles I finally decided to subscribe/ register myself and well there I go and here I am :D

Atari XEGS->Apple IIGS->A bunch of MACS and the occasional Apple IIe->DOS 3.3->DOS 6.2->Windows 95,98,200,XP->Ubuntu 7 (for about 45 minutes)->Windows XP->Kubuntu->Mandriva (my favourite Linux)->Linux Mint (for about 48 hours)->Crunchbang Linux->Arch Linux->FreeBSD 11.2

My way was simple.
C64 -> FreeBSD

I hated DOS/Windows and refused to use it for years. When I became friend with an older student, I learned about FreeBSD from him and another student got me a used PC. Installed FreeBSD 4.3 and never looked into a anything else.

Atari XEGS->Apple IIGS->A bunch of MACS and the occasional Apple IIe->DOS 3.3->DOS 6.2->Windows 95,98,200,XP->Ubuntu 7 (for about 45 minutes)->Windows XP->Kubuntu->Mandriva (my favourite Linux)->Linux Mint (for about 48 hours)->Crunchbang Linux->Arch Linux->FreeBSD 11.2

Not same path, but similar experience with earlier ubuntu version and linux mint never survived the 48 hours too here ;-)

I've been using the Debian system for eight years. After the eighth version of "Jessie" and this transition to the systemd, I broke my teeth, but I started to look at FreeBSD. After Debian's ninth version, called "Stretch", I could no longer suffer the unpredictable systemd "elegance", its constant predictions, similar to the wait for shutdown-service to complete (who faces this problem will understand me). But when Web Outside of Browsers (Weboob) was removed from the official repository because it was done by a group called "Debian Anti-harassment team", my patience was exhausted and Debian was removed from my computer's hard drive without any regret and has been replaced by FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE. After the new year I plan to transfer another machine to FreeBSD.

Binatone console >> Atari 2600 >> Dragon 32 >> ZX Spectrum >> Sinclair QL >> Amiga 600 >> Amiga 1200 >> Windows 3.11 >> OS/2 -3 & 4 >> Windows 95 >> Windows 98 >> Windows 2000 >> Linux (Redhat, turbo, Early Ubuntu, Debian)>> FreeBSD 10+ Years Exclusively.

Nothing special....

PC-DOS 6.0 + Windows 3.1 >> OS/2 Warp 4 >> Windows Me >> Windows XP (+ a bit of IRIX 6.5) >> OpenSolaris (2008.5 - 2009.11) >> FreeBSD 9.2 >> NetBSD 6.1.5 + macOS (Mavericks - Yosemite ) >>
FreeBSD 11.0 (and following) + NetBSD (7.0 and following) + Illumos (OI - Hipster, Tribblix, OmniOSce)

ZX Spectrum >> ATARI 800-XL >> IBM XT >> DOS >> OS/2 >> OS/2 Warp >> Debian * Slackware >> OS X Mountain Lion + FreeBSD 7.0 and following >> FreeBSD 12.0

SGI-IRIX(as system admin) --> Fedora(Workstation) --> CentOS(laptop) --> MacOSX (Workstation) --> Debian (laptop) --> FreeBSD 11.2 --> FreeBSD 12.0 (From today :p)

I could say I begun by the Ti-57, then Sharp PC-1251 and Canon X-07... But it's not really interesting, if you ask me.
After that, I used Windows and still use it as main OS.

Nevertheless, there is a fact: I left linux and I think I'll never come to this OS again. Not because it's bad (I think just the opposite), but one day, back in time, I discovered PC-BSD and I felt in love. When time has come to change for TrueOS or Ghost BSD, I was very disappointed for plenty things.

Then, I came to the source: FreeBSD. It's very amusing to learn how it works, it recalls me the first linux times (slackware was just amazing). Since, I discarded all FreeBSD based distributions.

Back