How can I tell which firewall I'm using?

Hi all,

I'm using freebsd 7.2 vanilla install

I'm a complete bsd newbie. I'm having trouble connecting to sendmail on anything but the local host. Sockstat -4 shows:

root sendmail ... 127.0.0.1:25

When I nmap from another host on the lan I don't see an entry for port 25 (I do see 110,143).

I'm assuming that a firewall is blocking the port. I understand that there are a variety of FreeBSD firewalls available. How do I tell what firewall I'm running?

Cheers,

Sendmail is only listening on the localhost interface lo0. You cannot access this interface from outside the host.

paulbot75 said:
When I nmap from another host on the lan I don't see an entry for port 25 (I do see 110,143).

A nice tip: Use the following command on FreeBSD

Code:
sockstat -46l

before running nmap from another host. It will give you a better idea of what could actually be found by nmap.

Or sockstat -46 if you don't want to be confused by localhost ..

I've found the problem... but I have no idea how to fix it. The problem is that sendmail is crashing shortly after it starts:

Code:
NOQUEUE: SYSERROR(root): opendaemonsocket: daemon IPv4 cannot bind: Address already in use

NOQUEUE: SYSERROR(root): opendaemonsocket: daemon server SMTP socket wedged: exiting

I know this is no longer a firewall issue... but any thoughts?

paulbot75 said:
I've found the problem... but I have no idea how to fix it. The problem is that sendmail is crashing shortly after it starts:

Code:
NOQUEUE: SYSERROR(root): opendaemonsocket: daemon IPv4 cannot bind: Address already in use

NOQUEUE: SYSERROR(root): opendaemonsocket: daemon server SMTP socket wedged: exiting

I know this is no longer a firewall issue... but any thoughts?

It doesn't crash. It complains there's already something that opened port 25.

Back