Solved How Best to install FreeBSD on a VM?

• Thread starter Deleted member 53988
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 53988

Hi,

I am trying to create a virtual machine to install FreeBSD in VirtualBox for Windows 7.

I clicked on New.

Sem título.png

I filled in the blanks:

Name: I digited FreeBSD because can to be any name.
Type: I selected BSD
Version: I selected FreeBSD (64-bit).

Sem título.png

How to continue?

Sem título.png

Please, fill in the blank:

______MB

I am using processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10 GHz, 4,00 GB of RAM and
64-bit Windows operating systems.

You don't have a lot of free RAM on the host, so I would start with 1GB. As there's only 4 GB for the host I would suggest not using more than 3GB for the VM. That will leave some memory for processes running on the host itself.

If you plan to do more, or create more running VMs concurrently I highly recommend adding more memory to the host.

FreeBSD vm should have 2G if you want to have some fun. If you got a machine with 16G of ram (which may be common these days) I gave my devel_vm 6144M, my vpn_vm 2048M, and my XP 6144M which is 2G too much. So that leaves under 1G for the FreeBSD host. After 8 years it’s still going strong, However your thread made me realize, I might as well give the host those 2G’s that XP has never used anyway.

When in doubt just go with the defaults suggested by the program.

I agree. You can always adjust how much RAM you want to devote to the VM after you're done creating it if you find that the default setting doesn't work via the Settings option.

You don't have a lot of free RAM on the host, so I would start with 1GB. As there's only 4 GB for the host I would suggest not using more than 3GB for the VM. That will leave some memory for processes running on the host itself.

If you plan to do more, or create more running VMs concurrently I highly recommend adding more memory to the host.

The topic is solved.

Thank you very much!

When in doubt just go with the defaults suggested by the program.

SirDice, ShelLuser,

The your answers are incomplete?

I ask this because it is written in the article "Installing FreeBSD with VirtualBox of FreeBSD Foundation:

"6. Saving Your Configuration:
  • Once FreeBSD has been properly configured a window will appear asking if you would like to reboot to set the changes. Select “yes” and wait until the FreeBSD booting page appears again. Once this happens, close the virtual machine window and select “Power off the machine”.
ScreenShot2016-06-14at1.23.48PM-1024x843.png

• 7. Removing the Installation Disk:
  • On the main VirtualBox application, click the the section (on the lower right side of the window) that says “Storage”. A new window should appear showing the storage options.
  • Under the main “Controller: IDE” there will be two options. One will be the hard disk that VirtualBox created for the system (it will have a square blue hard drive icon) and the other is the original FreeBSD download (with a light blue disk icon). Right click the sub-storage with the disk icon and select “Remove” from the drop-down menu.
ScreenShot2016-06-09at10.52.13AM-1024x841.png

• Once it is removed, the window should resemble the one pictured above.

8. Final Steps:
  • Select “OK” to save your changes and return to the main VirtualBox application. Click “Start” again and the FreeBSD virtual machine should now boot in its configured form. You now have FreeBSD installed on your machine!
  • VirtualBox comes with virtual graphics/audio drivers that FreeBSD may have trouble identifying. To fix problems that may arise later on as a result, log in and enter these lines at the prompt (ignoring the “$”):
In order to download packages you need to be logged into, or emulate the root user. To quickly do this:

$ su
Install the VirtualBox guest addition packages:

$ pkg install emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions
Open the startup service configuration filelocated at /etc/rc.conf using the built-in text editor ee

$ ee /etc/rc.conf
(To edit the file using ee, navigate using the arrow keys and type the text you need to enter. Once you are happy with your changes, press “<Esc> + <Enter>” and press “a” when given the option to save changes.)

Add these two lines to the bottom of the file and save your changes:

vboxguest_enable="YES"
vboxservice_enable="YES"
You are now ready to start using your FreeBSD system!

Reference: https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/freebsd/how-to-guides/installing-freebsd-with-virtualbox/

Back