Hostname lookup failure / permission denied error

Hello. I am brand new to FreeBSD. I just installed a fresh version of 10.2 on VirtualBox, running on my 2014 MacBook pro retina. Installation went fine and all seems well, but when I try to ping say ping google.com
I get
Code:
Ping: cannot resolve google.com: Host name lookup failure

I figured that meant that my DNS wasn't setup correctly, so I went poking around to see what was going on. When I try to access /etc/resolv.conf I get
Code:
/etc/resolv.conf: Permission denied

The permissions for resolv.conf are
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel

when I check mount
I get
Code:
/dev/ada0p2 on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilevel)

so the file system doesn't appear to be in read only mode.

The only other things I've seen about permission denied errors is errant tildes in a file, but I haven't edited or added any of my files or anything like that, so I'm not sure how that could have happened. I can't seem to find anything else in my searching to help solve this.

My best guess is that dhclient(8) can't access resolv.conf to write a DNS address to it, being that I can't access it either as root? But I have no idea where to go from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-- Ben

Sorry guys, I got impatient and figured that since I hadn't done anything really since I installed it, I went ahead and found a different guide and just did a full reinstall on a new virtual disk, and so far everything has been working fine on this new install. So I am assuming I did something wrong, or something weird happened on the initial install, so I just went ahead and deleted that virtual system. Thanks so much for the replies. I am sure I will be spending quite a bit of time here in the future. I am excited to finally start diving into all this.

-- Ben

Back