Help! zpool import successful, but /tank is empty!

Hello everyone,

I decided to 'upgrade' from FreeBSD 10.0-RC5 to 10.0-RELEASE by doing a fresh install. I performed a zpool export tank before I installed the new system, and afterward, I did an zpool import tank. Everything was good, I could see my data. Not long after I rebooted the system, and afterwards, I can't see anything. If I check the status of tank, I can see it's 3/4s full, just as it was, but when it ls /tank, everything is just _gone_. I'm wondering if I can upgrade the zpool, or scan it, or something, to access the data again. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Do your ZFS datasets actually show in mount as being mounted? Just because a pool is imported doesn't mean the datasets are mounted.

If you have re-installed FreeBSD and not put zfs_enable="yes" in /etc/rc.conf, the ZFS datasets will not be automatically mounted on startup, even if the pool is imported. Only ZFS roots get mounted automatically on boot. Everything else is mounted by running a zfs mount -a. (Which is what the /etc/rc.d/zfs script does when you enable it).

Yes, you can use /etc/fstab although I will note here that it you want to use ZFS, it's highly encouraged to enable it in /etc/rc.conf and handle mounting with the mountpoint/canmount properties. It will all just 'work' the way it was designed to. You won't suddenly find things are different on reboot because you made changes with zfs and forgot to update /etc/fstab, and the pool will import and mount in the same way on other ZFS capable systems.

Back