Help! Ethernet/WIFI Failover Link Aggregation

Hi everyone

I'm trying to set up a failover between ethernet and wifi on a MacBook Pro 5,5 running a fresh install of FreeBSD 13.2.I'm sure this is a configuration issue, because I can get each interface to work separately without link aggregation. I've followed the instructions in the Handbook, and for some reason it just never works.

The relevant part of my /etc/rc.conf file is below, with comments added for clarity
Code:
wlans_bwn0="wlan0"

# Ethernet works if I uncomment this line, and comment out every line below
#ifconfig_nfe0="dhcp"

# Wifi works if I uncomment this line, leave the line above commented out, and comment out every line below
#ifconfig_wlan0="wpa dhcp"

# WIFI never works with the configuration below, even when not connected to ethernet
ifconfig_nfe0="ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" # XXs are for privacy; actual values are the MAC address of the BCM4322 card
ifconfig_wlan0="wpa"
cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
ifconfig_lagg0="up laggproto failover laggport nfe0 laggport wlan0 dhcp"

I'm sure I must be missing something incredibly simple.

Have you tried syncdhcp instead of dhcp? FWIW, here's what works for me. I don't have a Macbook so I've changed my interface names to match yours:

Code:
wlans_bwn0="wlan0"
ifconfig_nfe0="ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
create_args_wlan0="country IE regdomain ETSI"
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport nfe0 laggport wlan0 SYNCDHCP"
ifconfig_lagg0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"

Thanks for the suggestion. No change when using "syncdhcp". I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out what's causing the problem, because nothing much is appearing in the logs. It looks like wpa_supplicant is having trouble connecting to bwn0, and that it might have something to do with the failover not properly switching from ethernet to wifi.

# WIFI never works with the configuration below, even when not connected to ethernet
ifconfig_nfe0="ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" # XXs are for privacy; actual values are the MAC address of the BCM4322 card
ifconfig_wlan0="wpa" #this line is wrong. "dhcp" or "syncdhcp" for open unencrypted access point. " wpa dhcp" for encrypted wpa2 access point. newer verizon wpa3 wifi routers wont allow me connection. your comments?

forums.ghostbsd.org networking subto pic

# WIFI never works with the configuration below, even when not connected to ethernet ifconfig_nfe0="ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" # XXs are for privacy; actual values are the MAC address of the BCM4322 card ifconfig_wlan0="wpa" #this line is wrong. "dhcp" or "syncdhcp" for open unencrypted access point. " wpa dhcp" for encrypted wpa2 access point. newer verizon wpa3 wifi routers wont allow me connection. your comments? forums.ghostbsd.org networking subto pic

The line you've quoted as "wrong" is taken directly from the FreeBSD Handbook, section on Advanced Networking, Example 3 (see the sample code to add to rc.conf at the end).

Here's my configuration.

Code:
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA link xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"
ifconfig_bge0="-tso4 wol"
if kqcheckyesno use_ipv6; then
        ifconfig_lagg0_ipv6="inet6 -ifdisabled accept_rtadv autoconf up"
fi
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport bge0 laggport wlan0 DHCP"
ifconfig_wlan0="$ifconfig_wlan0 up"
create_args_wlan0="wlanaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"

Back