Solved [Help] ”dhclient re0”: no link ......... giving up

Hello! I am new to FreeBSD (switching from Debian Linux), and spent the last six hours installing it successfully like the newbie I am.

However, in the installation process, the DHCP lease step in the installation for my wireless interface failed, so I skipped it and moved on with the installation (I am wondering if this is to do with the problem; no matter what i did, the dhcp lease always failed to retrieve).

I tried using wpa_supplicant to get internet access once I was in my newly installed FreeBSD, and it printed:

“re0: Failed to initialize driver interface”

Then, when I typed “dhclient re0”, it was doing “no link ...... giving up”

I am wondering if anyone knows how I can fix my problem, and get wpa_supplicant and dhclient to work properly so I can have internet access on FreeBSD. Thank you kindly, everyone!

Also: my wifi works 100%, I even tested it on my phone and other windows computer. This problem is FreeBSD related

re0 is a Realtek NIC. Do you have a LAN cable connected?

See Thread 4566

So, I looked at the thread and all and then searched up some stuff in the FreeBSD Handbook, and I used the command: sysctl net.wlan.devices

It outputted: net.wlan.devices:

Which showed no devices. Do you think that FreeBSD just doesn’t support wifi for my laptop? Thank you

pciconf -lv will tell you if it recognises your wifi.

I have the RTL8723BE, and your command lists it: RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapater

Do you know how I can setup a wlan0 interface or something similar to connect to wifi? Thank you very much!

Back