Solved Having trouble with port syntax

Ok, this is embarrassing that I can't figure it out nor the answer with a websearch, but I can't, so that's where it is

I'm trying to compile the x11-wm/dwl the Wayland equivalent of dwm, with a custom config.h file. The port's Makefile says to use

Code:
 make install clean ${PORTNAME:tu}_CONF=/path/to/${PORTNAME}/config.h
So, I tried what seemed to be the obvious
make install clean dwl:tu_CONF=/home/scottro/dwl-0.4/config.h
but it didn't work. I've tried a few variations like dwl-0.4:tu_CONF and a few others. All web searching has gotten me is that the :tu is used with bmake.

I assume this is something with an obvious answer and I've just been looking in the wrong spots, but I'd appreciate the correct syntax if someone wouldn't mind.

make install clean dwl:tu_CONF=/home/scottro/dwl-0.4/config.h
but it didn't work.
Hi Scott, posting the error messages that you're getting when it's failing might help. And are you definitely running version 0.4? It might not be the issue, but the latest version of dwl seems to be 0.5. And finally, I don't ever compile ports myself but wouldn't it be possible to copy your custom config file to the dwl directory and just run: cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/dwl/ && make install clean?

I think that's what I'm going to do. And, yes, you're right, it's 0.5. I'd started with a package which was 0.4 and don't know if I updated the config.h, since I've just been playing with Wayland and not keeping careful notes.
Doing make extract gave me the message that I could use DWL_CONF=<path> but that didn't work either. So, I'm just going to put my custom config in there.
Update: Did that, and it got some of my custom config. Some other things didn't work, but that's another thread if I continue to play with it, (which I may not, as this was just dipping my toes into Wayland).

To continue with the actual solution, after asking the maintainer. The syntax is just like dwm, it's DWL_CONF=<path-to-configfile>. As I use portmaster, it was just
portmaster -m 'DWL_CONF=/home/scottro/dwl/config.h' x11-wm/dwl

unitrunker (cool name, in my opinion), yes it does, but make config only gives you some limited choices, like include docs, include X11 support, and include a few extra applications. In contrast, I think dwm's make config lets you select Mod4 rather than Mod1 (Windows key instead of Alt), and a few other things. But in both cases, the majority of configuration is done by editing config.h, (or config.def.h)

Back