Solved Has the Internet changed for the worse before?

Search engines are your friends... Do you really want me and the colleges to put a citation on every post with things easily found on the internet (including in the UK law database)?

This is not an academic work otherwise I could write hundreds of pages on the subject in an about week (with the citations).
If you are so well versed as you claim to be, it would have been indeed very helpful providing a link to the law. Academics at least should not be lazy in properly citing.

If you are so well versed as you claim to be, it would have been indeed very helpful providing a link to the law. Academics at least should not be lazy in properly citing.

"The only loophole here is that the UK’s hate crime law is so absurdly vast, so-called hate crimes are investigated when an offense is “perceived by the victim or any other person” to have taken place.

This means incidents that are clearly not hate crimes are investigated and often logged as hate crimes or “hate incidents” anyway."

In law, specially in common law jurisdictions (UK, USA, etc.), the actual practical cases "modify" the law over the time ever when practice that is/was predicted (or goes against the positive/written law) by the law (customary law is a source of law) - the important factor is consistency.

Given the well established practice of the UK Home Office, anything they define as "hate crime" will be treated as hate crime by the authorities since the practice says that - at least until a higher authority take the right steps to change that (depends of the situation and the jurisdiction) - what does not seems to be ever a concern in UK.

Thank you for the link. That clarifies a lot. You link to summit.news which has an agenda:
My voice is being silenced by free speech-hating Silicon Valley behemoths who want me disappeared forever. It is CRUCIAL that you support me.
Again the FreeBSD forums are not the place for these kind of disputes.
The label "free speech" is known to be abused for all kind of political propaganda.

Lets return to discuss the tech-aspects here. Please!

Every single news/blog/similar have its own agenda (neutral news simply doesn't exist ever when the people behind it wants to be). You can read just the ones you like (match your agenda) like most people do (and also not get a lot of information which doesn't match that agenda), or read everything you can about a subject of your interest and reason the data.

In regards to that particular link, I just got the first I saw:

I'm a forum member and I can cite the forum rules when necessary and appropriate. Moderation is done by moderators.

Thank you for the link. That clarifies a lot. You link to summit.news which has an agenda:

Again the FreeBSD forums are not the place for these kind of disputes.
The label "free speech" is known to be abused for all kind of political propaganda.

Lets return to discuss the tech-aspects here. Please!
The agenda does not matter. If it reports the facts, then facts are facts. Is it reporting falsehoods?

Hi.

According to this article

China wants to introduce a "new ip protocol" that includes potentially a kill switch. I don't see how it'll happen, I mean IPV6 still hasn't fully been implemented everywhere.

Can anybody that's been around longer then I have please tell me if anything similar to this, has changed the Internet before?

I thought the Internet has largely remained unchanged since the 1980s?

Thanks for your time.

Jeez, the last and I mean ABSOLUTELY LAST thing you would do is trust anything out of China.

They have a history of sabotage of the internet. They run roughshod over not only their own people but those external to China.

Over 10 years ago I encountered one of their forays into DNS spoofing while they attempted to break into our systems. We even went so far as to block Class A IPs from that country and call in the federal police. We still have massive blocks in place for anything out of China. It's a pity some of our local universities didn't take notice and do the same.

Now, they're constantly engaged in DNS poisoning. It's not some rogue elements in China, nothing, I repeat NOTHING goes on in China without the express permission of the politburo. There are NO independent companies in China. They are all part of the state. When the state says to do X, those companies gleefully suggest doing Y as well. Huawei is a prime example.

I note today that the UK has finally removed China from the list of countries to compare Covid-19 cases against because they're bogus (but confusingly still wants Huawei to build their 5G...).

In summary, China is about as trustworthy as a wolf nursing a sick sheep.

I'm a forum member and I can cite the forum rules when necessary and appropriate. Moderation is done by moderators.
As a moderator, can you please point me to the rule that indicates non-technical, political discussion is forbidden in the Off-Topic forum? I'm skeptical such a rule exists, but I'd like to read it myself if it does.

Thanks in advance!

Again here is not fact finding for UK or any other politics. Keep with the forum rules.
Who died and made you king?

If the moderators want to shut this discussion down, they may do so it's THEIR purview, not yours. You may always desist from commenting? :rolleyes:

As a moderator, can you please point me to the rule that indicates non-technical, political discussion is forbidden in the Off-Topic forum? I'm skeptical such a rule exists, but I'd like to read it myself if it does.

Thanks in advance!
Not to preempt moderators, which I've just done :), but there are none. I've seen moderators quote politics in here. It's also impossible, as I replied in another message, to separate China from politics. Anything remotely to do with them is political in nature and if this topic is about China and politics is banned then this topic should have been closed immediately.

As far as I can see the only proviso is you don't come in here shouting "Down with <insert political party>!" or espousing political propaganda.

But, if I'm wrong, I'd like to see it stated more clearly.

No I honestly do not.

I know the game. X is behaving worst, but if you say something against it, you get the answer: "you are an anti-Y, because you do not look at bad Z far away".

And of course, wild calling someone Anti-Y is not considered hate crime, only the one called Anti-Y is considered the hate criminal, normally only because he is called anti-Y.

That is why I let you say the name of the country. Or should I quote you and write: "Obviously you do not have the guts to be clear."

Thanks for illustrating in this forum very good what I meant about higher level censorship (not IP level).

By the way, I never write "honestly", I do not need to write it.

I'm NOT a moderator, but I can point you to Forum rule 3.
In forum rule 5 "the Off-Topic forum is freely available" can be read but "free form discussion" does not make rule 3 inoperative.

Do you question the forum rules which must be adhered to by anyone using them? It's not a matter of discretion.

It's a known scheme ignoring the rules and when posts get removed naming it censoring.

Back