general/other Has KVM never appeared on FreeBSD in the past ?

Hello.

is it true or false that a lot of time ago someone tried to implement KVM on FreeBSD in tandem with qemu,but it has been soon removed ? Can someone tell me in which release it was ? I would like to see if it was usable,which problems it had and so on. Thanks.

Code:
commit 5cc0ee357bc56bdb3ee306cc8ba20ec745ee4d92
Author: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Date:   Fri Aug 26 12:21:39 2016 +0000

Remove kqemu-kmod{,-devel}

The are broken on recent FreeBSD, they are not supported by any qemu version,
    they do not build with recent binutils (2.27)

---> The are broken on recent FreeBSD

so,as I have suspected,it may work in older FreeBSD version. I would like to know how much older the version of FreeBSD should be.

---> they do not build with recent binutils (2.27)

so,as I have suspected,it may work with older binutils version. I would like to know how much older the version of binutils should be.

---> they are not supported by any qemu version

that's so bad,but may be in contraddiction with point 1 and 2. And anyway,this area could be improved. I suspect a lot of users may be interested to make a raw implementation of KVM with an older version of qemu. Just as a proof of concept.

wait wait man. there are some kind of projects started by the nostalgia of the older times. People wants to come back to the first versions of an OS to explore what it could do at the time. My project could be of that kind. I want to feel the strong emotion to see an old version of qemu able to emulate an old os with kvm on FreeBSD. Maybe I will try with Windows xp or Windows 95 or with some very old version of Linux.

----> Not really, as above, the port was likely removed long after it ceased to be useful.

so,you admit that there was a time when it was useful. Can you estimate which version of FreeBSD should I get to have qemu + kvm working ? thanks.

I've found that FreeBSD 7.2 should have kqemu,so I want to try it. I've written the iso image to my USB stick with this command :

Code:
dd if="7.2-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso" of=/dev/sdj

unfortunately it won't boot. Investigating what's happened,I've seen this situation on the USB stick :

Istantanea_2023-06-15_22-20-26.png

for sure that it can't boot. Why it burns the iso image like this ? How to fix it ?

Just a stab in the dark here, but that release may be old neough that it won't boot usb, but instead expect the iso to be written to a cdrom/dvd.

Just a stab in the dark here, but that release may be old neough that it won't boot usb, but instead expect the iso to be written to a cdrom/dvd.

So,maybe I should try the method to convert a dvd iso image into an USB capable iso image. Anyway,the iso image should not be defined as iso,because it does not even contains a partition table (as indicated by the tool balena etcher)

Back