Hardware..

Please help me find good server hardware..

I'm searching for something cheap and simple,
preferrably something sold in Norway..
And I want to run a web and E-mail server with FreeBSD.. :)

Could be helpful if you include a budget, and whether you want real server/enterprise grade hardware or consumer grade hardware.

1 site? 10,000 sites? 10 MB per day? 10 MB per second? Simple HTML? CSS, PHP, MySQL and 1 million queries? You really need to provide more detail.

Umm.. He he.. I don't even know how to run 1 site at the moment.. With FreeBSD I mean..

But I'm gonna run 1 site.. My connections to internet has a 1mbit/s upline, so thats the most data I can transfer.. Simple HTML and PHP.. Cost maybe something like $1600.. :)

Does matter which load you want to run. About 2 years ago i had server based on Celeron processor with 80mb disk - there was about 25 people used this site. So if you dont have traffic to load server with - its no need to strong hardware..

You mean your budget is $1600 dollars? I could probably run a busy 10,000 website server with that kind of money .. Any regular desktop with a modern CPU, a bit of RAM and maybe 2 SATA drives can run what you want, plus anything else by way of mail, ftp, etc. FreeBSD is very nice on resources. Look at the cheaper HP stuff, maybe Dell. Usually works straight out of the box.

Yeah but the new computers got all kinds of drivers just to run the network card, so how do that work in FreeBSD? I need an old comp.. Right?

FreeBSD supports a lot of hardware, both old and new. Audio and video support can sometimes be tricky for new hardware, but those are usually not important for a server machine. In terms of network cards support is very broad, ranging from old ISA cards to modern 10 Gbit cards. See the Handbook hardware section for more information.

If you want to build an experimental home server, just ask around in your family to see if anyone has a computer they don't use anymore, or is soon planning to buy a new computer rendering their previous one redundant. That is a great way to get free or cheap hardware.

I can tell you that FreeBSD runs on a brand-new high-end HP desktop machine with zero intervention. The same will probably hold true for IBM and Dell stuff.

Hmm.. I can't find out how to get a server.. Is there any good stores in Norway?

I don't want the desktop computer, I want some box of some sort, like a server rack..

Ok, I have now found some pretty cool hardware for my server..

HP ProLiant DL380 G3 - 2x2.8Ghz Intel Xeon, 3GB RAM with something called "iLO", I have no idea what that is..

If you've got an old PC laying around I would suggest using that. You really don't need much to meet your requirements.

Truth be told, with a 1 Mbps upload limit, nearly all modern processors would do quite well (I was running stuff on a Pentium 4 1.6 GHz a while ago). Any desktop or server should be fine.

The HP ProLiant DL380 G3 is an 'older', but very nice work horse (maybe a bit noisy), and if you got it for a good price, you'll have years and years of fun with it and it will give you some room to expand over time.

Any given hardware platform will attract applications to max it out .. (Law Of More-More)

Dell frequently runs specials, and you can pick up a small-business server for $250-350. Thing is I don't know if dell does business in Norway.

fronclynne said:
Dell frequently runs specials, and you can pick up a small-business server for $250-350. Thing is I don't know if dell does business in Norway.

fronclynne said:
Oh wow. I just checked the Norwegian version of dell.com and the $299 special is over 10,000 kroner(en?). Egad.

Never been a Dell fan, but didn't know about the $299 special. Too bad they're not rackmount, almost a decent deal.

Back