Hanging on boot, but I know what the problem is--just need help with the boot loader

I just upgraded from 7.0 to 7.1, but I forgot to take any precautions to preserve my network driver (myk0), which I had to install to replace the inoperable msk0 driver for my Marvell Yukon ethernet controller. I don't even remember how (I think through gross luck) that I eventually made it through a boot and was able to navigate the file system and install the replacement driver from a thumb drive! I'm stuck in not being able to load.

I tried to use the boot loader prompt (typing 6 at the FreeBSD loader menu) to no avail. I tried to disable the if_msk module, but when I boot it just tries to load that damned useless driver again. Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong in the boot loader, or perhaps there's a better way? If I can just boot SOMEHOW, I can re-install that driver, but I just don't have that access right now.

Please help! Very frustrated in having gone so far to hit the same brick wall I've already conquered! Thanks in advance!

I've figured out how to disable or enable the proper modules (if_msk and if_myk, respectively) and set variables as necessary. However, I think I may have unknowingly installed something to do with IPv6, which I probably don't have configured in my network? Now I get to:

Setting hostname: dev.ideogon.com.
net.inet6.ip6.auto_linklocal: 1 -> 0

At this point, I just want to load ONLY the kernel. I think I can figure it out from there on...How do I do that? Please!!!

ideogon said:
... I tried to use the boot loader prompt (typing 6 at the FreeBSD loader menu) to no avail ...

you don't have the menu "Escape to a loader prompt"? :q

try to boot from installation cd and repair the installation.
If you can enter the menu "Escape to a loader prompt", you must type "unload kernel" and then type "boot <path_to_a_good_kernel>"

Back