Half-Life - In 4 easy steps

That went apparently well, but the step

python3 ./waf install --prefix /home/werner/Games/HL2 was unsuccessful:

Code:
111 warnings generated.

Waf: Leaving directory `/usr/home/werner/src/source-engine/build'
Build failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/home/werner/src/source-engine/.waf3-2.0.22-a21fa92a45548e4c642deabae50eb159/waflib/Build.py", line 1197, in do_install
    self.copy_fun(src, tgt)
  File "/usr/home/werner/src/source-engine/scripts/waifulib/strip_on_install_v2.py", line 44, in copy_fun
    inst_copy_fun(self, src, tgt)
  File "/usr/home/werner/src/source-engine/.waf3-2.0.22-a21fa92a45548e4c642deabae50eb159/waflib/Build.py", line 1093, in copy_fun
    shutil.copy2(src, tgt)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/shutil.py", line 444, in copy2
    copyfile(src, dst, follow_symlinks=follow_symlinks)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/shutil.py", line 266, in copyfile
    with open(dst, 'wb') as fdst:
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/bin/libdatacache.so'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/home/werner/src/source-engine/.waf3-2.0.22-a21fa92a45548e4c642deabae50eb159/waflib/Task.py", line 354, in process
    ret = self.run()
  File "/usr/home/werner/src/source-engine/.waf3-2.0.22-a21fa92a45548e4c642deabae50eb159/waflib/Build.py", line 1128, in run
    fun(x.abspath(), y.abspath(), x.path_from(launch_node))
  File "/usr/home/werner/src/source-engine/.waf3-2.0.22-a21fa92a45548e4c642deabae50eb159/waflib/Build.py", line 1203, in do_install
    raise Errors.WafError('Could not install the file %r' % tgt, e)
waflib.Errors.WafError: Could not install the file '/usr/local/bin/libdatacache.so'

Need to do that as root/sudo.
Apparently, that went well:

Code:
111 warnings generated.

[2227/2228] Linking build/utils/vtex/libvtex_dll.so
+ install /usr/local/bin/libvtex_dll.so (from build/utils/vtex/libvtex_dll.so)
Waf: Leaving directory `/usr/home/werner/src/source-engine/build'
'install' finished successfully (24m23.588s)

But 4. Go to ~/Games/HL2 and start game: ./hl2_launcher -game BMS does not work, there is no other content than the folder BMS in that directory. The hl2_launcher file is located in src/source-engine/build/launcher_main. When I change into that directory and try to execute it, I get:

Code:
$ cd src/source-engine/build/launcher_main/
$ ./hl2_launcher -game BMS
Cannot open "bin/liblauncher.so"
Failed to load the launcher
Cannot open "bin/launcher.so"
$ ./hl2_launcher
Cannot open "bin/liblauncher.so"
Cannot open "bin/launcher.so"

Apparently, that went well:
Code:
... 111 warnings generated. [2227/2228] Linking build/utils/vtex/libvtex_dll.so + install /usr/local/bin/libvtex_dll.so (from build/utils/vtex/libvtex_dll.so) Waf: Leaving directory `/usr/home/werner/src/source-engine/build' 'install' finished successfully (24m23.588s)
But 4. Go to ~/Games/HL2 and start game: ./hl2_launcher -game BMS does not work, there is no other content than the folder BMS in that directory. The hl2_launcher file is located in src/source-engine/build/launcher_main. When I change into that directory and try to execute it, I get:
Code:
$ cd src/source-engine/build/launcher_main/ $ ./hl2_launcher -game BMS Cannot open "bin/liblauncher.so" Failed to load the launcher Cannot open "bin/launcher.so" Failed to load the launcher $ ./hl2_launcher Cannot open "bin/liblauncher.so" Failed to load the launcher Cannot open "bin/launcher.so" Failed to load the launcher

Show what all BMS subdirs contain?

Show what all BMS subdirs contain?

I attach a du -h of the BMS directory. Hope that's what you need.

But if I do not understand wrong from your instructions, the hl2_launcher file should be located in /home/werner/Games/HL2?

Attachments

• BMS_content.txt
    29.1 KB · Views: 45
I attach a du -h of the BMS directory. Hope that's what you need.
I don't see needed files:
/home/werner/Games/HL2/BMS/hl2_launcher
/home/werner/Games/HL2/BMS/dedicated_launcher
/home/werner/Games/HL2/BMS/bin/libclient.so
/home/werner/Games/HL2/BMS/bin/libserver.so

But if I do not understand wrong from your instructions, the hl2_launcher file should be located in /home/werner/Games/HL2?
No, your root game dir is ~/Games/BMS

If you installed game engine in ~/Games/HL2 move all files and dirs from this dir to ~/Games/BMS
Then go to ~/Games/BMS and try to start game: ./hl2_launcher -game BMS

I don't see needed files:
Code:
 /home/werner/Games/HL2/BMS/hl2_launcher
/home/werner/Games/HL2/BMS/dedicated_launcher
/home/werner/Games/HL2/BMS/bin/libclient.so
/home/werner/Games/HL2/BMS/bin/libserver.so
Of course not. The BMS directory comes from a wine installation of the windows version as I said in the beginning. You told me to create the directory Games/HL2 in my home directory and the copy the BMS directory into it.

If you installed game engine in ~/Games/HL2
Did I? What I did is (as root / comment #77) python3 ./waf install --prefix /home/werner/Games/HL2 in the /home/werner/src/source-engine directory. I think this did not modify the contents of /home/werner/Games/Hl2/BMS in any way. A search of e.g. libclient.so gives me the following:

1697740490681.png

So I think everything after executing python3 ./waf install --prefix /home/werner/Games/HL2 is located in /home/werner/src/source-engine

Back