GUI installer

robertclemens said:
I never understand why people feel they should keep things harder just to keep "newbies" out.

It's not harder. It's different and new to someone coming from Windows, Apple or Ubuntu.

Sysinstall doesn't keep newbies out. Laziness does. We were all first-time users once.

Barnie said:
GUI = Graphican User Interface
TUI = Text User Interface

It's a textbased user interface and not graphical. But this is not the key!
That's not accurate at all. User interfaces can be GUI or CLI, a TUI as you put it can be of either the GUI or CLI variety. Dosshell for example was a text based GUI.

But the difference you're pointing at doesn't exist. A GUI can be text based, but a CLI really can't be graphical. Well technically it could be if one were to waste a lot of resources on pictures around it that don't have to do with the actual commands.
robertclemens said:
I never understand why people feel they should keep things harder just to keep "newbies" out. Not everyone agrees with this and certainly not everyone that posted but obviously some people do.
Because it's a lot of work for very little benefit. When I started to use computers that's all we had, it wasn't really any more simplified than that, and I'm rather tempted to order you off of my lawn. People in this day and age are spoiled and while I don't have any issues with a more prettified install program being added, there just isn't much interest in installing one.

And ultimately, install programs do, like it or not, serve as a bit of a screen to keep people that aren't going to do any work later on out. Sure we could make the install program even easier than the ridiculously easy one we have now, but what happens after the OS is installed? At what point do the developers no longer have to do absolutely everything for the user?

hedwards said:
When I started to use computers that's all we had, it wasn't really any more simplified than that, and I'm rather tempted to order you off of my lawn. People in this day and age are spoiled

Thank you :)

Because it's a lot of work for very little benefit. When I started to use computers that's all we had, it wasn't really any more simplified than that, and I'm rather tempted to order you off of my lawn. People in this day and age are spoiled and while I don't have any issues with a more prettified install program being added, there just isn't much interest in installing one.

And ultimately, install programs do, like it or not, serve as a bit of a screen to keep people that aren't going to do any work later on out. Sure we could make the install program even easier than the ridiculously easy one we have now, but what happens after the OS is installed? At what point do the developers no longer have to do absolutely everything for the user?

I guess that just doesn't make any sense to me. Just because it's what you had others should have to go through the same learning process? Imagine if finstall was used from the beginning and someone wanted to change it to text, I'm *quite* confident we'd have the same discussion just in reverse. There is *absolutely* no reason why we can't have both.

I'm just like most people. I've been with FreeBSD for many many years and know the sysinstall very well. It's not hard by nature but it is "harder" to figure out what things are and what is required.

Help forums are OPTIONAL and VOLUNTEER. If we get people started with FreeBSD in one way or another isn't that a good thing? And it's not like
sysinstall does what everyone wants it to do by keeping people out of FreeBSD by being something they have to learn. Most of people's responses on here and elsewhere is "man this" "man that". It's not like it would change any of that.

Don't you see that people are desiring some change? I could care less but many people do desire change. That's why other projects are making up for some of the lacking they see such as finstall. PC-BSD uses the gui installer.

We have people talking about how people today are spoiled because TECHNOLOGY ADVANCES? Are you serious? And people say "Thank You" to comments like that because this is some boy's club that we definitely
want to make sure some people are left out of? It's public domain open source stuff. Come on.

What about FreeBSD developers saying sysinstall is a pain in the ass? And that it lacks functionality? Are the nay-sayers really going to stick with their "it's how I learned and by god it's how other people will learn too" mentality?

Someone tell this guy it's not a boy's club. We invite everyone to try FreeBSD and ask questions. We even PROMOTE the asking of questions. If everything was solved by "man this" "handbook that", then the forums, mailing help lists, would be OBSOLETE. Get off the high horse and learn to share.

Sometimes forums really do bring out the flamerness in people.

why people feel they should keep things harder

robertclemens said:
I never understand why people feel they should keep things harder just to keep "newbies" out.

This is a well known social psychological phenomenon. When a few achive something that is not that easy to get for the most, there is always a need for time, brain and often money to get it. As they experience similar supreme efforts they are becoming a somehow elitist peer group (We have made it! ).

After some time more people might get easier access to the valuables. Now pioneering feat gets devalued - advantage is likely to shrink ... But, to get at least some fun, newbees are getting some tough time (Read the handbook!).

-Erratus

Erratus said:
This is a well known social psychological phenomenon. When a few achive something that is not that easy to get for the most, there is always a need for time, brain and often money to get it. As they experience similar supreme efforts they are becoming a somehow elitist peer group (We have made it! ).

After some time more people might get easier access to the valuables. Now pioneering feat gets devalued - advantage is likely to shrink ... But, to get at least some fun, newbees are getting some tough time (Read the handbook!).

-Erratus

I'm just happy to see that someone else understands what people are trying to do. I'd be totally on board with sysinstall to continue as long as it incorporates some much-needed additions.

I just cant fathom the viewpoint that mastering the sysinstall promotes a genius ability to know the os better. Why are these people promoting this kind of "do it yourself" mentality while also JOINING a help forum only to tell people "no help here, figure it out on your own.. I did."

I think you hit the nail on the head with the devaluing of pioneering advances. This is not at all segregated to FreeBSD
by any means but as a reference there are several channels established on irc or help forums that only provide RTFM help.

Not everyone learns through reading everything. If that were the case we'd all have Ph.D's and would have huge libraries and we'd all know everything. That's just not the real world and if a help channel exists, it should be used to help not torment.

robertclemens said:
"Why are these people promoting this kind of "do it yourself" mentality while also JOINING a help forum only to tell people "no help here, figure it out on your own.. I did."

This mentality I found on many forums. I got irritated most by some Linux-Communities. And to be clearly speaking my experience till now with this FreeBSD forum is very different and very good, because here most of the answers are straight forward problem solving. Here are people writing who have good knowledge and want to share it. Others keep reading (like myself).

Perhaps some of you want to know, why I choose FreeBSD among the others? Believe it or not, I was attracted by The FreeBSD Handbook. No joke!

And I have read: http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html#people thinking, this is a good place to be.

-Erratus

some bios's have select-from menus on the left,
consequences on the right. I imagine that doable
for Freebsd installs , for xorg.conf, for custom kernels,
the problem would occur where a setting in one panel
would break a setting in another panel. ... So without
the resources to thoroughly test everything, maybe
/ instead of my idea above/
/ this different idea below /
option... # comment
...... # consequences
conf files to subsequently use for the purpose (X or kernel
or install) would be more feasible?
just /ideas/

jackie, welcome to 2008, where XP is not the only windows OS.
And btw XP switches to graphical mode during the install pretty fast anyway.

PS: I really hope you weren't speaking about anything older than XP...

Andrius said:
jackie, welcome to 2008, where XP is not the only windows OS.
And btw XP switches to graphical mode during the install pretty fast anyway.

PS: I really hope you weren't speaking about anything older than XP...

mm: I'am old.. I have give up windows 3 years ,and I know less about windows .

Weather sysinstall is a GUI or not, is kinda besides the point. Sysinstall is a crappy GUI. It totally sucks, because it doesn't conform to any users expectations of how a GUI works. The OK/cancel buttons at the bottom are totally confusing and seem to have no function in most menus. However they are needed in some, especially to exit the program at the end.

You have the focus at two points at the same time (in the menu and on one of the buttons). And I never know what will actually happen if I press space or enter.

Sysinstall could be much more easy to use just by getting rid of these two buttons at the bottom.

I always use a console to install FreeBSD. I create the slice, the partitions, install a boot sector and run make installworld installkernel DESTDIR=/mnt/tmp and mergemaster -i -D/mnt/tmp. This is much less confusing.

A friend tried that install yesterday, it was a bugridden hell. Install was not possible. It either didn't find the kernel on the CD or asked you to change the CD to the one that was already in the drive. It also locked the drive, so that it couldn't be opened any more, despite the CD no longer being mounted.

And there wasn't anything you were able to configure, I could see, so the article you linked looks kinda ridiculous to me.

We tried a FreeBSD install first. To get X running she needed to install the radeonhd-devel driver, but the wireless NIC is not supported by FreeBSD. This is why she tried Ubuntu, figuring that if radeonhd-devel works under FreeBSD it should be possible to install it under Ubuntu as well.

Hell, were we wrong. It just was impossible to make a CD install. The text mode setup is totally broken and the graphical install doesn't work, because the radeon driver just produces a white screen and hangs there. Ubuntu is a good example of how to keep people from installing.

kamikaze said:
You have the focus at two points at the same time (in the menu and on one of the buttons). And I never know what will actually happen if I press space or enter.

Sysinstall could be much more easy to use just by getting rid of these two buttons at the bottom.

Yeah, exactly this sucks. What about creating a usability lab for the installation procedure? Best volunteers for testing are persons who never installed a BSD-System before.

I always use a console to install FreeBSD. I create the slice, the partitions, install a boot sector and run make installworld installkernel DESTDIR=/mnt/tmp and mergemaster -i -D/mnt/tmp. This is much less confusing.

Sounds interesting, but how to to this?

Some excellent points have been made in this thread, BOTH installers can, and if finstall is put up, will be used. Asking for finstall to be included is NOT forsaking the server managers at all, despite what you guys are seeming to say.

As for the PCBSD or DesktopBSD arguments, I find that they are much too heavy weight(or at least PCBSD was) for older systems(my system that meets the RECOMMENDED requirements for KDE runs extremely slow in comparison), and also it does not offer any lighter weight Window managers. The installer was great, but a tad slow, and the overall system was not as fast as I wanted it to be.

Both finstall and sysinstall would be excellent to have in FreeBSD, and I hope that finstall gets finished soon. :) I'm crossing my fingers that finstall is finished in time for FreeBSD 8.0's release, though honestly I have no idea of the activity of the project, or the development status.

robertclemens said:
I guess that just doesn't make any sense to me. Just because it's what you had others should have to go through the same learning process? Imagine if finstall was used from the beginning and someone wanted to change it to text, I'm *quite* confident we'd have the same discussion just in reverse. There is *absolutely* no reason why we can't have both.
No, and thanks for mischaracterizing me. My point was that we have something which works and we have an OS which offers far more opportunity for customization than others do. With the state of the OS being what it is people that can't or won't deal with sysinstall are probably going to be frustrated.

That's definitely not to belittle the efforts put in, FreeBSD is an amazing OS. It's just lacking things that many desktop users need and while that's the case effort probably would be better spent there. It only takes a couple of times through the install process to figure that out, the rest of the time isn't so straightforward for any OS.
I'm just like most people. I've been with FreeBSD for many many years and know the sysinstall very well. It's not hard by nature but it is "harder" to figure out what things are and what is required.
Harder than what? Seriously the things in the install program which are confusing wouldn't be any less confusing if we had a gui. There'd still be swap, partitions and slices, there'd still be the need to know about disk geometry at times. I'm not really seeing anything in the program which hasn't already been simplified which could readily be simplified.
Help forums are OPTIONAL and VOLUNTEER. If we get people started with FreeBSD in one way or another isn't that a good thing? And it's not like sysinstall does what everyone wants it to do by keeping people out of FreeBSD by being something they have to learn. Most of people's responses on here and elsewhere is "man this" "man that". It's not like it would change any of that.
What precisely doesn't it do, besides look pretty? The only things I've ever seen or heard of it not doing are things which can be done via the fixit disc. And starting next release you'll be able to get a DVD with both discs on the same DVD.
Don't you see that people are desiring some change? I could care less but many people do desire change. That's why other projects are making up for some of the lacking they see such as finstall. PC-BSD uses the gui installer.
There's nothing wrong with change, but the installer is really a minor bump for most people compared to other things that desktop users need. And the developers themselves have placed the GUI install programs on the back burner.
We have people talking about how people today are spoiled because TECHNOLOGY ADVANCES? Are you serious? And people say "Thank You" to comments like that because this is some boy's club that we definitely
want to make sure some people are left out of? It's public domain open source stuff. Come on.
Way to mischaracterize me, you're using the term "Technology Advances" pretty loosely there. Sysinstall does far more than any of the other install programs I've used. Granted it's not pretty, but it is flexible and it does work in a consistent manner.

What about FreeBSD developers saying sysinstall is a pain in the ass? And that it lacks functionality? Are the nay-sayers really going to stick with their "it's how I learned and by god it's how other people will learn too" mentality?
They've got other things to work on. Or at least they have things that they prioritize above replacing sysinstall. Nobody is stopping you or anybody else from doing the work.

Someone tell this guy it's not a boy's club. We invite everyone to try FreeBSD and ask questions. We even PROMOTE the asking of questions. If everything was solved by "man this" "handbook that", then the forums, mailing help lists, would be OBSOLETE. Get off the high horse and learn to share.

Sometimes forums really do bring out the flamerness in people.
Erm, you were the one that started it, I'm just saying that it's not really the highest priority task for most people. If it were then it would be done by now. People are still kicking it around, but the developers have limited time and are choosing to use it as they see fit, I don't see the problem.

And that's historically how it was done. Not saying that's right, just pointing out that there's a huge amount of information out there and a lot of friendly people to answer questions. It was hardly the sort of unapproachable "boy's club" you suggest. That sort of thing hasn't been around for at least a decade and probably longer.

EDIT: And it is worth noting that if that's your idea of a good set up, that's already available, very little of the effort is duplicated and one can even choose to install the set up onto FreeBSD if one chooses.

I think its hard for me to "mischaracterize" as you put it when you have the whole thread public and viewable and they can read the entirety in chronological order.

You keep referring to the fact that YOU don't need a change and that YOU are happy and think it's quite the capable installer. That's fine -- except we aren't talking about YOU or even for that matter, ME. We ARE talking about the other users that DO think the installer is cumbersome and HARD to figure out. The installer DOES lack features and is a "Pain In The ASS" as some developers call it.

So it may work just fine for you but that has NOTHING to do with the point. Sysinstall works fine for you and me. But if we are honest, it is not the greatest installer in the world, and it even neglects some very important features for install. Danger@ did point out that you can use console. And I have used it very often for customization. Thank god for the console making up for the extra customization content.

The point is. You seem to be against new installers for all the wrong reasons. You quip back with generic "Nobody is stopping you or anybody else from doing the work." style comments to somehow prove a point. Stay on topic and focus.

I'm fairly certain this thread is beaten like a dead horse and done.

We can agree to disagree. But I think your arguments lack any real evidence of a position outside of your own opinion. We are entitled to our own opinions and I just don't agree with yours.

Good day sir.

attachment.php

what's it?

... Another one of "those" threads. Why everybody coming over from different OS wants FreeBSD be similar to what they are used to? Imagine, you are a rap fan, do you go to a classical music club and start telling the music they are listening there sounds all wrong? Why cant you accept diversity is what makes this world richer? Lot's of people love and use FreeBSD as it is, and they enjoy it, why change it to please those used to the different?

its not about fan or not, its about usability and user experience. but i think i agree with u guys, i think i dont need GUI/eye catching installer :) i think installer that give me more flexibility & functionality...

-Alie
http://www.alietan.com

@Speedy: nice, u r correct... Sysinstaller gives me invaluable experience and knowledge :)

-Alie

Back