GUI installer

The first problem is a sole software problem that can be fixed. The second problem however cannot be fixed, cause there is a subtle difference between a newbie and a person strictly unwilling to learn anything while expecting everything.
Let me ask something. Say, a person is 20 years old. Newbie. Using the Handbook and trial'n'error method he finally gets it installed. If he has to do it several times before he gets the desired result - I see no problem. After that he'll know his way around and for next 50 years he does not need any improved installers.
So why it is so important to pay so much attention to that one day he is struggling? Versus decades long use of FBSD where he will have problems, indeed, but all those future problems have nothing to do with sysinstall?
Is FreeBSD aimed at noobs or users?

Speedy said:
So why it is so important to pay so much attention to that one day he is struggling? ...
Is FreeBSD aimed at noobs or users?
As far as I remember, it is a common goal to get new members into the FreeBSD community. We should welcome them. If there is a critical mass of FreeBSD users the day comes when industry will produce needed drivers by their own.

The lack of social competence shown by your contribution is accepted by sense of free speech.

Years ago I installed FreeBSD very first time. I do not remember having any problems. I usually install every new OS at least twice. First time I go thru all steps to get familiar with process, second time I install it. All I remember about my first FreeBSD install is the first "trial" install went so good I decided to keep it. So sysinstall was OK back then.
How comes it suddenly is no good any more?
Sorry, Erratus, but I think sysinstall is fine and something is wrong with people who are whining about it.

Well - sysinstall always did the job and FreeBSD got installed. Geom / ZFS might be missing - yes, but taking the so called completely "new user", maybe the most important thing for him is to get the OS installed, not play with Geom or ZFS.
Sysinstall is fine for this, maybe not perfect but what is perfect ?

And about a X11 based Installer - personally I see no difference between reading text like "Be careful editing your partitions" on a text console or a X11 window - the text will stay the same.

Speedy said:
Why cant you accept diversity is what makes this world richer?

Speedy said:
Lot's of people love and use FreeBSD as it is, and they enjoy it, why change it to please those used to the different?

Hmm...did anyone else spot the contradiction here? :p

Speedy said:
Years ago I installed FreeBSD very first time. I do not remember having any problems. I usually install every new OS at least twice. First time I go thru all steps to get familiar with process, second time I install it. All I remember about my first FreeBSD install is the first "trial" install went so good I decided to keep it. So sysinstall was OK back then.
How comes it suddenly is no good any more?
Sorry, Erratus, but I think sysinstall is fine and something is wrong with people who are whining about it.

I think people are coming from a LiveCD experience of the Linux world. That causes some undue expectations. In fact a graphical installer make sense when you have actually booted into a X envirionment.

Sysinstall is okay...it will do good with some tweaks in the workflow though.

There is another thread somewhere that talks of more focus on desktop. So there is growing demand.

anemos said:
I like the way the installer is and thinking of FreeBSD as an open source project I'd say that priority must be set to other fields such as less CD's shifting during installation etc.

1. There is an official DVD since 7.1
  2. If you have more then one machine, you learn to do standard "user" install, no ports, no packages, no /usr/src and mount_nfs those ;)

Back