good book to learn shell programming

bsaidus said:
Hi!

Can you tel me please what is a good book to learn C/bash/sh?

Thanks.

For learning all aspects of shell scripting using bash and sh, I recommend the Schell Scripting Primer which is published and hosted online by Apple Inc. The .pdf-file is perfectly formatted as a book, having ca. 350 fully indexed pages (US Letter size, 8.5×11''), so a print shop should be able to turn it into a nice paperback at low costs.

There is also an online .html-version available.

I started learning C using The C Programming Language, Second Edition by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie, more than two decades ago. I have the copy of the book still around, but didn't look into it perhaps for more than 5 years.

I think that even nowadays, this book is a good start for beginners, because it is quite slim, i.e. it does not shock the reader with hundreds to thousands of pages describing concepts that might be useful once in a century. A book with the title "The C++ Programming Language" is a famous not recommended example from the shocking category.

Nowadays, for looking-up things, I am using online sources, but these are not available as books, so this is another story.

bsaidus said:
... of books, could you point me to a book to buy?

Let me amazon this for you:

attachment.php

Attachments

• amzon-shell.jpg
    amzon-shell.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 734
chatwizrd said:
I thought people were born with this knowledge.

YES I am! But what I don't understand is your discriminating comment! Simply I'm trying to get knowledge from experienced people.

Back