Gnome3 terminal app cannot run

Hi, a month ago I changed the permission of gdm to root. I think it was on the execution file. Right now when I login to gnome3 as a user. I click on terminal and it will hang until it will close by itself. Yet, if I login to gnome as root. I click on the terminal I can run it.

I did this since GDM wasn't working right and was told that it needs root and wheel group. I think the group I changed it to was charlie.

I need to know what is the path to GDM execution files by default? What permissions does it need for my user to be able to run the program.

Under my user I can run any program in gnome3 other than terminal. Any ideas?

Why don't you simply deinstall and reinstall GDM? That should fix the permissions.

I remember that I fixed it changing the locale. By default, Locale is "C". You have to change it to a
valid locale (i.e. "en-US" ) in /etc/rc.conf.
x11/gnome3 does not set any locale, not like other DE's

I remember that I fixed it changing the locale. By default, Locale is "C". You have to change it to a

That isn't the issue. The terminal works when I login as root but not as user. It's for sure permission issues.

I was trying to run nautilus but failed and I ended up monkeying around with GDM I do recall I made changes to the permissions of the file that gets executed. It's root but was using group charlie but I changed it to wheel.

When you install Gnome3 it does ask you for your local time and details. So, I doubt that it's a problem.

I think you're right. The language is en_US.UTF-8. The type is C and the other variables are set to C.

Any idea how to make the changes?

You can edit /usr/local/etc/gdm/locale.conf to set the default locale for GDM.
GNOME Terminal requires a UTF-8 locale to run. If your locale is C, it will refuse to start.

You can edit /usr/local/etc/gdm/locale.conf to set the default locale for GDM.
GNOME Terminal requires a UTF-8 locale to run. If your locale is C, it will refuse to start.

In that file it actually uses UTF-8 and United States. It doesn't use the default C. However, when I ran a tool to check the locale it shoots out UTF-8 united states and then type C.

Back