Gnome terminal will not stay open

When I try to open gnome terminal I see the outline of the window where it tries to start and then it disappears. This happens multiple times before one of the windows will finally will stay open where I can use it.

Can anyone help me with this?

I am running a mostly fresh install of Freebsd 8.1 release. I have install a few programs like firefox, pidgin, open office, codeblocks, and xmms in case that helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does xterm work? If so try starting gnome-terminal from there. It may spew some warnings or errors which could be helpful.

I know exactly what you are referring to, happens alot with Terminal (XFCE4 program) you click it to open it and it closes but if you hammer the button it will eventually stay open, happens more on my Dell 3100 with a GMA 900(fix the gem error!) but sometimes happens on my Nvidia laptop, as far as I know it has been happening since I first set foot in FreeBSD back a couple of years ago atleast when i had it installed in a virtual machine but I just got used to it happening all the time.

zspider said:
I know exactly what you are referring to, happens alot with Terminal (XFCE4 program) you click it to open it and it closes but if you hammer the button it will eventually stay open, happens more on my Dell 3100 with a GMA 900(fix the gem error!) but sometimes happens on my Nvidia laptop, as far as I know it has been happening since I first set foot in FreeBSD back a couple of years ago atleast when i had it installed in a virtual machine but I just got used to it happening all the time.

I use Terminal daily and have never seen that. Maybe the same model of bad mouse? Maybe our old friend AllowEmptyInput is turned off and screwing up input?

Mostly I use a Radeon video card, but if this is a video driver problem, something is deeply wrong.

After further use, it actually appears to be an intermittant issue (the worst kind). It will work fine for a while, then not work, and then work repeatedly again. I ran xterm, and it doesn't produce any usable output. Typing gnome-terminal from xterm when it is glitching simply returns to the $ prompt whether it actually opens up the gnome terminal or not. About the only difference I've noticed between running gnome-terminal by pressing the icon under applications>accessories>terminal and calling from xterm is that when I press the icon it creates a little rectangle appearing breifly where the window would have gone had it opened and stayed open, and with xterm nothing noticeable seems to happen.

The problem with the window not staying open tends to typically happen after the computer has been running a while and after I close the last remaining terminal window especially if I've had more than one open.

I know that doesn't narrow it down much, but again, any help would be appreciated.

Greetings.

For debugging you could switch to the console where you started x11, hit a few times Enter until some spacing is created to the present text, switch back to x11, execute gnome-terminal after the circumstances you mentioned, switch back again to that console, see if there is any console logging. You can turn scrolling on by typing Pause/Break and using PageUp/PageDown if necessary.

Back