gnome-terminal says: Failed to open file “/var/local/lib/dbus/machine-id”: No such file or directory

Dear Sir,
trying to start gnome-terminal after update, I get
Code:
# Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Cannot spawn a message bus without a machine-id: Unable to load /var/local/lib/dbus/machine-id or /etc/machine-id: Failed to open file “/var/local/lib/dbus/machine-id”: No such file or directory
may I get a hint, please where to look for a clue?

Last edited by a moderator:
The others gave me the hint and I found peace of mind w/ my gnome-terminal again.
my infered answer was that a "normal" terminal (xterm, lxterm, etc) wouldn't care about dbus because they behave the way a terminal is suppose to and are not linked with a bunch of useless bloatware libraries.

But, if it works now then I suppose you are good until you run into the next gnome inspired problem.

my infered answer was that a "normal" terminal (xterm, lxterm, etc) wouldn't care about dbus because they behave the way a terminal is suppose to and are not linked with a bunch of useless bloatware libraries.

But, if it works now then I suppose you are good until you run into the next gnome inspired problem.
But then drm cannot exclude terminals via dbus 🤓

Back