gnome-terminal and ibus issue

Dear Friends,

My system is: FreeBSD 10.1 with x11/gnome3 and textproc/ibus + chinese/ibus-libpinyin installed by pkg.

Thanks FreeBSD. pkg is quite fast and quite easy. But 2 days ago, when I upgrade with pkg as normal, bad thing happened when my system upgraded security/gcr. My system was frozen. So I have to restart my system by hand. But then, if I try to run gnome-terminal, there is a small circle keep spin several time, but then nothing happen. And at same time, ibus-libpinyin doesn't function; if I chose pinyin at upper right corner of Gnome3, nothing happen also. That's mean if I want to input Chinese somewhere, no Chinese input bar on desktop.

I need your help!

Thanks in advance!

This doesn't answer your question, and I've only dealt with Japanese, not Chinese, but lately, in FreeBSD, ibus has been giving me issues. Eventually, I switched to chinese/fcitx and have been much happier. You can view its one minute tutorial with pkg info -D -x fcitx

I have a short tutorial about getting it working with Japanese, which would probably be equally applicable to Chinese, at http://srobb.net/jpninpt.html. Just go the FreeBSD section to the 10.x part.

I realize it doesn't answer your question, but I'm really finding it far less problematic than ibus

Thanks FreeBSD. pkg is quite fast and quite easy. But 2 days ago, when I upgrade with pkg as normal, bad thing happened when my system upgraded security/gcr. My system was frozen. So I have to restart my system by hand.

Can you switch VT when this problem happens? If yes then I think it is the known GLib bug that crashes gnome-shell. It takes time to create a core dump, so entire desktop is frozen for several seconds or minutes. gnome-session will automatically restart gnome-shell after the crash.

But then, if I try to run gnome-terminal, there is a small circle keep spin several time, but then nothing happen.

I guess there is something printed to stdout. Does ~/.cache/gdm/session.log contain related things? Is there any error message when you manually run /usr/local/libexec/gnome-terminal-server?

And at same time, ibus-libpinyin doesn't function; if I chose pinyin at upper right corner of Gnome3, nothing happen also. That's mean if I want to input Chinese somewhere, no Chinese input bar on desktop.

Is ibus-daemon running? Does manually running ibus-daemon -r --xim --panel disable fix the problem? Does removing ~/.cache/ibus help?

I ran /usr/local/libexec/gnome-terminal-server and got
Code:
Non UTF-8 locale (ASCII) is not supported

___________________________________________________________________________________

Here's how I fixed my terminal. I had problem finding the charset info. This page helped
Using UTF-8 (Unicode) on FreeBSD

vi ~/.login_conf
Code:
me:\
        :charset=UTF-8:\
        :lang=en_US.UTF-8:
        :setenv=LC_COLLATE=C:

Back