gnome settings

A

Anonymous

Hi!

I was all the time KDE user but after few tries of KDE 4 I decided to give a try to GNOME. And I like it. I have a few questions:
1. it is possible to uninstall Evolution (complete) - I prefer Balsa
2.http://distrowatch.com/images/screenshots/hymera-20090910.png
Settings are different as in KDE. I like to setup my desktop just with one panel like is on the above link.
3. Is it K3b popular still in the GNOME world or users use something different?
4. When I open Midnight Commander in terminal window F10 (quit) doesn't work)

Thanks in advance,

Mitja
-----
http://starikarp.redbubble.com

1. I'm not sure if it's possible to remove Evolution completely since it's listed as a dependency. However, you can just leave Evolution alone and install mail/balsa.
  2. The link seems to be broken. Try searching the Internet for GNOME themes or create your own.
  3. Install sysutils/k3b.
  4. I don't have it installed right now.

dennylin93 said:
  1. I'm not sure if it's possible to remove Evolution completely since it's listed as a dependency. However, you can just leave Evolution alone and install mail/balsa.
Instead of installing x11/gnome2, install the gnome2-lite metaport.
It has about 100 deps less (including evolution).
If you need ports from gnome2 not installed from gnome2-lite, you can install them later.

ale said:
Instead of installing x11/gnome2, install the gnome2-lite metaport.
It has about 100 deps less (including evolution).
If you need ports from gnome2 not installed from gnome2-lite, you can install them later.

Thank you very much. For now is too late but when FreeBSD 8.0 came out I will install from scratch :).

One question more: which sound mixer is good for use, please? The default one has just a volume.

lumiwa said:
Thank you very much. For now is too late but when FreeBSD 8.0 came out I will install from scratch :).
You're welcome.

lumiwa said:
One question more: which sound mixer is good for use, please? The default one has just a volume.
I usually just user mixer(8), but you can try the "Volume Control" on the panel.

lumiwa said:
4. When I open Midnight Commander in terminal window F10 (quit) doesn't work)
Disable the F10 menu shortcut in the options for gnome-terminal.

Thanks ale, thanks SirDice :)

And I one more question: which email client is the most popular or more looks like KMail in KDE? I played with Balsa and it is not what I like it, Thunderbird I never use, Evolution is like an Outlook...

Thanks.

Back