Gnome log file location and extensions

I'm trying to make a gnome extension work without much luck and trying to find information on why it fails to run from the log files in /var/log. However I can't find any output from Gnome Shell in any of the log files. Where does Gnome store its logs on FreeBSD or is this functionality still a work in progress. I would very much appreciate if someone could give me pointers on how to configure gnome logging facilities so I can better debug it's functionality.

Not [yet] a certified BSD user, but /var/log/gdm/ should store your files. Gnome is usually referred to as gdm (gnome display manager). If you didn't know. If you did know, well, then I didn't help much.

Do you have syslog enabled? If so, did it shed any light on your issue?

Gnome is usually referred to as gdm (gnome display manager).
Ehm. No. Those are two different things. GDM is (a small) part of the Gnome suite, yes. But when people talk about Gnome they typically mean the desktop environment. It's perfectly fine to run the Gnome desktop environment with a different display manager (SDDM, SLiM, XDM) or without a display manager at all.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
I love the quote. I was thinking /var/log/messages, but opted out of mentioning it since I didn't have it. I believe Journal overrides mine in this distro, and I definitely didn't know if it was from the UNIX direction or Fedora's so I didn't mention it. And thank you for educating me on the gdm being a much smaller part; those were some good reads.

I hope you get it figured out larhama, GNOME is a great desktop environment, especially for meaningful workflow and productivity.

Aren't user specific desktop logs under /home/<username> or no? I haven't used Gnome for more than a day because it drives me nuts...

GNOME isn't the best DE overall, but it is definitely the best for workflow (outside of tiling/dynamic WMs). But this is from a Fedora perspective; I haven't used it on BSD, yet.

I disagree completely but DE usage is subjective so we are all going to have different opinions. I can't do anything in Gnome because it is so crippled. I personally prefer x11-wm/fluxbox and x11-fm/pcmanfm for aesthetics and productivity but again, that is totally subjective.

I disagree completely but DE usage is subjective so we are all going to have different opinions. I can't do anything in Gnome because it is so crippled. I personally prefer x11-wm/fluxbox and x11-fm/pcmanfm for aesthetics and productivity but again, that is totally subjective.
Agreed. I meant it from my perspective, not a you are wrong and I am right. I am going to have to look at fluxbox and pcmanfm, I've never heard of them.

larhama Have you figured it out, yet? I am curious to see the resolve myself for learning purposes.

Fluxbox is just a window manager but is light and fast. PCmanfm is a file manager. I normally run just a window manager and a separate file manager, no desktop. A bit spartan but very functional.

I've used pcmanfm before. I'm sure of it. I just don't know where or when. And fluxbox doesn't appear to be updated of late. I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but I'll refrain from asking specifics and research further in a bit. I really don't want to keep this discussion off-topic.

Fluxbox does not get updated often because it is pretty static. Still maintained though but not much to do with it really. It's light, fast and functional, for me anyway. As of late, I do not run FreeBSD as a desktop and am running cli only in a VM.

Back