gnome is too slow

Salamo Alikom
when i am login to gnome it's star up after 3 or 4 minutes ,i had some search but nothing help .
some details :
ifconfig -a
Code:
sis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	options=8<VLAN_MTU>
	ether 00:15:58:64:67:88
	inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
	media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
plip0: flags=108810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> metric 0 mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3 
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
resolv.conf
Code:
nameserver 192.168.1.1
hosts
Code:
::1			localhost.localhost SIFE
127.0.0.1		localhost.localhost SIFE
rc.conf
Code:
gateway_enable="YES"
snd_ich_load="YES"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
hostname="SIFE"
ifconfig_sis0="DHCP"
keymap="us.iso"

The hostname needs to be fully qualified i.e. sife.my.domain. And your hosts file is wrong. It should be
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain sife sife.my.domain

Right -- I wanted him to figure that out. There also is no gnome_enable in rc.conf, though that would not give rise to the issue here.

True.. Instead of gnome_enable I have hald_enable and dbus_enable. Not running hal and dbus does present other problems with gnome.

SirDice said:
Instead of gnome_enable I have hald_enable and dbus_enable.
Yes, those are needed, but these days to get full gnome functionality you need gdm in addition to hal and dbus and the two avahi daemons. I don't like that -- in the past I always started it from a console window -- but oh well.

This is getting OT, but since the OP's problem has been solved without his knowing it yet, let's digress.

One thing that gdm starts is consolekit, which allows su access to various utilities as a regular user (with the appropriate password, of course). The simple-minded way to start ck in .xinitrc does not work. I had a discussion with Joe and mezz on the ML last month about it, and they agreed that the only way to get *full* gnome functionality is to use gdm, and gnome_enable. Well, failing a way to get ck to start.

If you know a way around this, I'd love to learn it.

I installed gksu and changed all the 'administrator' menu settings to load via gksudo :e

Not that I really need them.. It's usually a matter of setting them once and never touching them..

OK -- I used to do that (and still have it installed, actually), but wading through the menus was too much work. The gdm irritation is fading slowly.

I usually install gnome2-lite as I don't need all the other stuff. As for the system settings, I don't play around with them often enough to even install those.

Well, I install everything other than the dev tools. It is surprising how many of them I use. Not much overhead, really, just disk space, which I have.

The only issue is when it comes time for the inevitable version update through -aOW. Much more to break, and it does take longer.

gnome is steal slow ,before i make ip dynamic ,it was normal but now is slow .
some details :
rc.conf
Code:
hald_enable
dbus_enable
hosts
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain SIFE SIFE.my.domain

Replace my.domain with the ACTUAL name of your domain. This is where you have to fiddle. The daemons affect things other than start-up times.

SIFE said:
gnome is steal slow ,before i make ip dynamic ,it was normal but now is slow .
some details :
rc.conf
Code:
hald_enable
dbus_enable
That should be:
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

SirDice said:
That should be:
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
i just forget to write it in the last post :D .
i don't have any domain so i make it :
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost SIFE SIFE
but no thing change after i back like first time with some modification .

The hostname must be fully qualified, it doesn't matter if the domain name exists or not. I use dicelan.home as a domain.

Back