Git replacement for CVS?

I currently use cvs (csup) to update my source and ports tree. I also use svn for KDE's area51.
I have come accross an increasing number of projects using GIT for version control / distribution. I am considering combining everything under a GIT structure. By using a git fronted for CVS, it looks as simple as this:
# pkg_add git-core git-cvsimport cvsps
$ git clone [email]mylogin@freebsdserver:/ports.git[/email]
$ git pull origin master (for updates)
I also came accross this wiki page describing that all is not so smooth. DLevigne's usage of GIT also leaves out the source tree and delegates it to CVS (from what I can tell.

What are your experiences, what do you advise? Is there any difference regarding # make (build from source) or any extra commands needed (like extract) in comparison to the cvs repository method? (Please no posts like "why don't you use portsnap?")

Why not use svn to check out two svn (FreeBSD and area51) repositories instead of using git to checkout a svn (area51) and a cvs (FreeBSD) one?

I have come accross an increasing number of projects using GIT for version control / distribution
Ooops, my bad - did not explain sufficiently that I am considering GIT because I want to combine other source streams to one system. I have lately found many projects I want to try but that distribute their source through GIT. Since I will have to use GIT for those sources, might as well combine everything to a single maintainer.

git may have a problem with a non-clean ports or source dir and won't pull new changes. So how do you handle this? Do you commit or reset before you pull?

Back