GIMP 2.10

Hi!

I think it is about 4 months as GIMP was updated but we have in the ports version 2.8 still. Is GIMP dead on FreeBSD or is something related to systemd, please?
My wife use 2.10 on Windows and it works so good with many new options/improvements.

Thank you.

It is being worked to be updated, but just don't ask me what is making it to be delayed because I didn't bothered to ask. :)

As lebarondemerde has told you: GNOME blocks the Gimp update because there are some necessary dependencies that break the current GNOME version from ports.

GNOME team will take care to update Gimp after closing PR 229761.
I understood why but what I don't understand why GIMP is not an independent app. There are many GIMP users which they don't use GNOME...

Last edited:
I understood why but what I don't understand is why is GNOME not an independent app. There are many GIMP users which they don't use GNOME...

Basically because the GNOME team is the current maintainer of graphics/gimp and they are working on the GNOME update.

Anyway you can try the patch and update gimp on your machine.

I don't understand why GIMP is not an independent app.
GIMP uses a lot of the same libraries as Gnome. So while it's an independent application its dependencies are also used by other applications like Gnome. So if you update GIMP and its dependencies those dependencies are going to break other applications (like Gnome) that depend on those same dependencies. In order to make sure everything stays consistent you have to update everything else too.

Interesting detail here is GTK (it's called GIMP Tool Kit). GTK was originally developed and created for GIMP. Later on the GTK library turned out to be quite useful and Gnome was built around the GTK library. While it's still two separate projects they both share a lot of the same "building blocks".

Back