getty repeating too quickly

O/S Sys. V 6.0

I have just completed a restore of my system disk from a dump. Now the system on booting shows the following error condition, repeatedly, to stdout =>
Code:
Starting default moused:/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libutil.so.7" not found, required by "moused"

Then follows several lines of

Code:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found, required by "vidcontrol"

Code:
Starting inetd.
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libutil.so.7" not found, required by "inetd" 

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found, required by "id"

Starting background file checks in 60 seconds.

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found, required by "logger"

Thu Sep 3 11:24:41 PDT 2009

Then follows an endless stream of
Code:
Sep 3 11:24:41 init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv3, sleeping 30 secs

The ttyv? number changes continuously with the ttyv#'s in the /dev/file

I have already run fsck and all systems CLEAN
From fixit the files seem to be present

any recommended solution?

These libs are in /lib/, which should be in the lib path. Can you get to a command line at all and run [cmd=]/etc/rc.d/ldconfig restart[/cmd]?

Tried at the prompt loader stage, see the file but can't execute.

Invoking Fixit , mount /dev/ad0s1a at /mnt ; can execute etc/rc.d/ldconfig fine but then stalls with a

.: Can't open /etc/rc.subr: no such file or directory
/etc/rc.subr does not exist on the Fixit disk but etc/rc.subr does at the /mnt partition mounted level

???

I'd say your dump wasn't complete or something like that. I recommend you to get a 6.0 installation CD and reinstall (binary upgrade) your system.

Thought of that, in the process of upgrading to 7.4 or even 8.x which caused the problem. Trying to avoid that as I run my webserver, email server etc on this box, a whole lot of things to reinstall and configure, not all from the ports either

Back