Getting back torrents

In years past the FreeBSD project used to provide torrent files for people to download. Following an infrastructure migration a few years ago the project appears to have stopped posting torrents. A PR on the issue says torrents will be returning soon, but that report hasn't been updated since 2012.

While there are third-party offerings, such as gotbsd.net, most people do not seem to know about them. Will FreeBSD be bringing back torrents? If no one is working on this, I'd like to volunteer. Whom could I talk to about either getting torrents offered on the freebsd.org website or, alternatively, who would post torrents created by a volunteer on freebsd.org?

I can't seed initially, but after I have completed the download, I would give back (seeding mode) to the swarm many times over.

If you do create the torrents yourself you should provide some method for verifying their contents against the official SHA256 sums from the FTP mirrors. At least inform the user that while the torrents are unofficial they are made from the officially released files and their authenticity can be verified using the hashes.

Creating the torrents and seeding them isn't a problem. And of course the ISOs could be verified by visiting the FreeBSD website (or by including a hash file in the torrent). The issue I'm having is finding anyone in the FreeBSD team who will talk to me about infrastructure and getting the links posted on the website.

Back