Get FreeBSD better Linux...

FreeBSD is best OS but Linux more popular, why?
Becouse Linux have best hardware support...

My question: why FreeBSD make lasy hardware drivers?
Imho Better hardware support make FreeBSD is best of best UNIX OS!

Вот =)

The primary reason I switched from Linux to FreeBSD eight years ago was that FreeBSD had better support for my server hardware.. :) So in my opinion the FreeBSD hardware support is really not that bad! (for server use at least, I have little experience with FreeBSD on the desktop)

my point of view is that linux is becoming like windows, the only exception is that they ship bugs for free

btw.... lately i'm considering to try and maybe switch to OpenBSD (I like their philosophy)

I've already installed it on my usb flash

BloodyKid said:

Вот =)
Go ahead, you're free to write more/better device drivers.

Anyway, that's your answer. Someone has got to do it.

I think in the early years, freebsd was overshadowed by the copyright issue with AT&T. While linux was gaining a foothold with the people fed up with M$ only the dedicated kept working on freebsd. Two years ago, I had a service man in the office for contract work on an IBM as400 server, he asked about the other servers, I told him they were running freebsd, He said “what’s that?”.

The numbers on freebsd stats are a small percentage of the true number of installs. I know how people feel about “forced” software in the base system, I’m one of them. Enabling the bsd stat, then giving the option to opt out during an install could help with hardware support from companies.

my humble opinion: with freebsd you can screw up and it forgives your uneducated or hobbiest attempts, it lets you discover new ways of getting things done. I tried rebuilding and failed, but discovered a new way of getting what I wanted to do. I have done all of them. I still smile when I get my computer working, bumbling through but still trying something not thought of, regardless of how people interpet the man pages, creativity never ceases thats why freebsd rocks

I'm sure Linux's hardware support is directly related to the fact that there are more people working on Linux, there is more commercial support, and more people are using it.

FreeBSD supports all of my hardware though, and that's all I care about.

nah is not because linux has more hardware support, is because of advertisement. Those previously only knowing about windows now discovered linux and say ohhh and don't know that there are better licenses around. Welcome to the world of ignorance.

halplus said:
and don't know that there are better licenses around. Welcome to the world of ignorance.
license? what license? we speak for robust rock solid os with sky limit of places to be used/embedded? quantity is wallking hand to hand with quality put those two on one place and they beat any day any quantity of it-work-for-me-drivers. do not mistaken tools with toys.
or i missed something..

It's that easy: quality instead of quantity. Sometimes Linux is like a candy store but you can get some severe stomach pain.

BloodyKid said:

Вот =)
It's time to understand FOSS is versatile. You wouldn't want Linux to be BSD, BSD to be OS X ... etc. This gives us CHOICE. Something that is "good for everything" cannot be good by definition.

Bashing Linux does not make you l33t, it makes you look childish.

Speedy said:
Bashing Linux does not make you l33t, it makes you look childish.
For the love of GOD I wish someone would add that to the forum title. ("The FreeBSD Forums - Remember, bashing Linux does not make you l33t" ):e

rliegh said:
For the love of GOD I wish someone would add that to the forum title. ("The FreeBSD Forums - Remember, bashing Linux does not make you l33t" ):e

Which god? There are too many too fit in the browser's title ;)

vermaden said:
Because Linux has hype ...

hence

Pushrod said:
... Linux's hardware support is directly related to the fact that there are more people working on Linux, there is more commercial support, and more people are using it.

and if FreeBSD doesn't support your hardware ...

kamikaze said:
Go ahead, you're free to write more/better device drivers.

Or even better: pay someone to do it for you :)

Now, as far as I'm concerned:

hitest said:
FreeBSD supports my hardware, so I'm happy with it.

yet still ...

killasmurf86 said:
btw.... lately i'm considering to try and maybe switch to OpenBSD (I like their philosophy)...

Regards

BloodyKid said:

Вот =)
As a newbi to both linux and freebsd I was thankful to finally get freebsd installed. I was sold on the promise it was more stable and it holds true. When something does go wrong I know it was something I did.

I lost a few computers and hard drives installing linux distributions in the past. And I never had linux last longer than a couple of weeks before it stop working. (I won't name any names.)

I was a *beep**beep**beep**beep**beep* for me to learn to install freebsd and if I found pc-bsd first I would never had installed freebsd.

paulfrottawa said:
I was a *beep**beep**beep**beep**beep* for me to learn to install freebsd and if I found pc-bsd first I would never had installed freebsd.

Technically speaking, you would still have. ;)

I would have to throw a finger in this, even though it is an old thread.
Bashing Windows, Linux, Solaris, OS X is just silly and a waste of time. It is a good thing that we have these choices, and each option does a specific job, each has its strong points and its faults.

First of all - FreeBSD is not the best OS, just ask someone running Solaris or another running Linux. What would you say to the other people running OpenBSD or NetBSD? And I highly doubt that you will find a user of a Mac that works in the music or photography realm that would agree with the statement that FreeBSD is the best OS. FreeBSD is the best OS to those who choose to use it, and use it correctly (some day I hope I do.)

May it be the best server platform available? - I would would have to hang my hat on that.
But is it the best OS to run Photoshop? No.
Is it the best OS for grandma wanting to check email? No.
Is it the best solution for someone who works in a 100% MS office/job site? No.
Everything has its job. Nothing is perfect. Other wise we would all be using the same system, and more than likely paying through the nose for it.

In my humble opinion, the reason why Linux has popularity over *BSD is due to the marketing that was accomplished. Why did Microsoft take off - follow the money! While Linux was busy on grabbing a foothold BSD was fighting for its survival in the Unix wars. Linux also is easy to install, easy to configure. FreeBSD is that as well, but only to the geeks who know and understand it.

Think on this for a second -
What would become of FreeBSD if the likes Adobe, Nvida, Sun, HP, Intel, etc put their money and resources behind FreeBSD, completely, like they do for Microsoft and Mac? What would it be like if evry device we buy came with drivers for FreeBSD? What would happen if Dell and the like started shipping boxes with FreeBSD pre-loaded? What would happen if companies started porting applications like Quickbooks and Photoshop to BSD?
We would more than likey wind up with another Windows to *beep**beep**beep**beep**beep* about. Be happy with FreeBSD and what it is.

Well i know many people think windows is best OS. They LOVE windows and buy hardware just for running last version of windows and nothing else. x(

Also companies support and commercial software NEVER make one OS better than another for example when an OS crash photoshop NEVER do anything. (well i use gimp :e)

FreeBSD is best OS because of itself. just look at it's stability, ports, handbook and ...

I love linux and can do anything real easy have not had that experience with freebsd I love compiz and gnome whice work great on linux and the support on linux is great

Back