Generic kernel, adding/changing options

Can I add option on Generic Kernel , for example add option for use PF and firewall and then run these command
Code:
 cd /usr/src && make buildkernel && make installkernel
and have new kernel option with new option , and I do change name of kernel ?

can I later update system by these command
Code:
freebsd-update fetch && freebsd-update install
? and have that options I add before this to Generic Kernel ?

Of course you can modify GENERIC, but making a copy and working on it is recommended.
But do not expect freebsd-update to understand the changes. freebsd-update works on standard RELEASEs and RCs and nothing else.

Beastie said:
Of course you can modify GENERIC, but making a copy and working on it is recommended.
But do not expect freebsd-update to understand the changes. freebsd-update works on standard RELEASEs and RCs and nothing else.

if I add option to my Generic kernel , with freebsd-update I can not fix security risk and upgrade my FreeBSD ? Am I right ?

I am not sure how freebsd-update would behave, but I suspect it would fail during the "inspecting system" phase.
Either use a standard binary GENERIC and update/upgrade using freebsd-update or update sources, patch them and build them.

freebsd-update update only GENERIC kernel witch you installed ,fixing security risk with compiled kernel come by you not by freebsd-update otherwise it will fail .

That's quite a lot of chaotic and sometimes inaccurate advice, people ..

http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=96896&postcount=3

So GENERIC (/boot/GENERIC/kernel) and CUSTOM (/boot/kernel/kernel) kernels can co-exist in a freebsd-update system. Just make sure you always rebuild your CUSTOM kernel immediately after installing updates with freebsd-update, and that freebsd-update updates the local source tree in /usr/src/ so that binaries and sources are synchronised!

Back