GDM doesn't shutdown

Hello.

Shutdown in GDM doesn't work anymore - shutdown button simply does nothing. So neither it works when I am logged in - only performs logout to GDM.

In command line `shutdown -p` works fine.

Packages seem to be consistent - md5 check on files tells no errors (apart from some persistent mismatches).

What could it be?

SirDice said:
Are hald and dbus running?

Yep, here are they running:

Code:
  690  ??  Is     0:00,26 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --system
  888  ??  Ss     0:06,64 /usr/local/sbin/hald
  898  ??  I      0:00,03 hald-runner
  902  ??  S      0:01,24 hald-addon-storage: no polling on /dev/fd0 because it is explicitly disabled (hald-addon-storage)
  913  ??  I      0:00,02 hald-addon-mouse-sysmouse: /dev/ums0 (hald-addon-mouse-sy)
  916  ??  S      0:08,15 hald-addon-storage: /dev/acd0 (hald-addon-storage)
  951  ??  I      0:00,00 /usr/local/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session
  997  ??  I      0:00,00 dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session
  998  ??  Is     0:00,12 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 7 --print-address 9 --session

Same issue on FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE

Does anyone have any other suggestions for this? I've got exactly the same issue - When I do System -> Shut Down it logs me out and the buttons on the gdm login screen do nothing at all.

I have procfs mounted and have even tried uninstalling the port, deleting the gdm user and it's home directory and reinstalling it.

I've also added the gdm user to the operator group to see if that helps, but the behaviour is exactly the same. (Note that the gdm user is not a member of the gdm group, which is empty, but I think this is normal.)

I even tried editing /usr/local/etc/gdm/custom.conf and adding these lines ...

Code:
[daemon]
HaltCommand=/sbin/shutdown -r now
RebootCommand=/sbin/shutdown -r now

Nothing seems to work. :(

I'm not sure either whether this happened when I upgraded from FreeBSD 7 to 8 or when I did a portupgrade.

Are you running 'powerd'?
Maybe, it will help you?
I shut my system down by ACPI button on the front panel.
Powerd don't make me borry on ACPI.
Try start powerd and tell me result.

I'm not running powerd but the power button does cause the box to do a shutdown just as [CTRL], [ALT] & perform a reboot. I can't understand why I can no longer shutdown/restart from within gnome or from the gdm login screen. I can 'shutdown -p now' from a terminal window though so my login has got permission to perform shutdowns (just as the gdm user should have).

My /usr/local/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf is as follows. I'm not sure if it's correct or not ...

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">

<!-- See the manual page PolicyKit.conf(5) for file format -->

<config version="0.1">
    <match user="root">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <define_admin_auth group="wheel"/>
    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown">
        <match user="nick">
                <return result="yes"/>
        </match>
    </match>
</config>

Which part do I need to change?

Thanks. :)

I would tend to do the following whilst trying to get it working...

Code:
<config version="0.1">
    <return result="yes"/>
    <match user="root">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <define_admin_auth group="wheel"/>
</config>
Let me know if it helps. If not it might not be due to this

@atomicplayboy: My user is a member of wheel and operator and I can shutdown from the command line without sudo-ing, etc.

@kpedersen: I tried changing PolicyKit.conf to that which you suggested (which is the same as the default one as far as I can tell) but it's still the same. :(

I don't think this is a UNIX problem, I think it's a Gnome problem (well gdm anyway). However I'm wondering whether the gdm user should be a member of wheel or something - I always remember in the past that the console screen said that it was being shut down by 'root', not by my user or the gdm user. I'll try it and see if that works but any other suggestions would be very well received. :)

Thanks.

I just noticed these messages in /var/log/messages ...

Code:
Apr  6 22:01:04 bobby avahi-daemon[1164]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
Apr  6 22:01:20 bobby gnome-session[1378]: WARNING: Could not launch application 'gnome-power-manager.desktop': Unable to start application: 
Failed to execute child process "gnome-power-manager" (No such file or directory)
Apr  6 22:01:22 bobby gdm-simple-greeter[1390]: WARNING: Could not ask power manager if user can suspend: The name 
org.freedesktop.PowerManagement was not provided by any .service files
Apr  6 22:01:23 bobby gdm-simple-greeter[1390]: WARNING: Could not ask power manager if user can suspend: The name 
Apr  6 22:01:28 bobby gdm-simple-greeter[1390]: WARNING: Could not ask power manager if user can suspend: The name 
Apr  6 22:01:33 bobby gdm-simple-greeter[1390]: WARNING: Could not ask power manager if user can suspend: The name 
Apr  6 22:01:47 bobby console-kit-daemon[1295]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Apr  6 22:02:14 bobby last message repeated 5 times
Apr  6 22:02:33 bobby gdm-simple-greeter[1390]: WARNING: Could not ask power manager if user can suspend: The name 
Apr  6 22:02:35 bobby gnome-keyring-daemon[1424]: couldn't allocate secure memory to keep passwords and or keys from being written to the disk
Apr  6 22:02:38 bobby pulseaudio[1459]: module.c: module-detect is deprecated: Please use module-udev-detect instead of module-detect!
Apr  6 22:02:38 bobby pulseaudio[1459]: oss-util.c: '/dev/dsp2.0' doesn't support full duplex
Apr  6 22:03:09 bobby console-kit-daemon[1295]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Apr  6 22:03:11 bobby kernel: pid 1620 (gnome-clock-applet-), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

Anyone have any clues? The 'assertion failed' message seems to happen when I click the Shutdown button on the gdm login screen.

I posted to the FreeBSD Gnome mailing list regarding this and Joe Marcus Clarke suggested that I reinstall the sysutils/polkit and sysutils/policykit ports. I did this and everything is now working fine. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. :)

Back