Solved gdm black screen when starting from ttys file

Hi,

I'm a newbie in Unix-like systems and trying to learn how FreeBSD works reading the entire handbook.

I just set up a gnome environment which works great when typing gdm on a command line with root privileges.

Reading the handbook I see that I can edit the /etc/ttys file to make Gnome start with the system. That's what I did, but when gdm is launched that way the screen remains black and nothing can be done.

Here is the modified line :

Code:
ttyv8   "/usr/local/sbin/gdm"  xterm   on secure
I'm now stuck in that situation because it starts automatically. How can I modify the /etc/ttys file in order to set ttyv8 to off ? Or prevent Gnome from starting just once ?

Thanks for your help !

Sebel

You're not supposed to start it that way. Remove the change from /etc/ttys and simply add to /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
gdm_enable="YES"

To fix it, boot to single user mode, remount the filesystems (they're mounted read-only in single mode) and change the file and reboot.

But before enabling GDM make sure X is actually configured correctly by starting it with startx. Once it's configured correctly you can enable GDM again.

Also note that you can use CTRL-ALT-1 to 7 to switch back to the console.

I tried this option before but without knowing that the file systems are read-only in single user mode...

Remounted all partitions with mount -a and the edition of /etc/ttys became possible.

Thanks for you support !

Sebel

I tried this option before but without knowing that the file systems are read-only in single user mode...
Yes, it's something most first time users run into. Just keep in mind when you boot to single user mode that only the root (/) filesytem is mounted and read-only.

Remember these commands:
Code:
fsck -y  # Run the filesystem checks, automatically fixing errors
mount -u / # re-mount / as read-write
mount -a -t ufs # mount all UFS filesystems from fstab
swapon -a  # optional, turns on swap

Back