gdm and ath0 conflict

everytime I have set up gnome, I put gnome_enable="YES" in my rc.conf and everything from avahi, hal, dbus, to gdm is started, but when I have ifconfig_ath0="DHCP WPA" and wpa_supplicant.conf set ok. I get some kind of error message that fills the screen, I dont remember the message that has the word "throttling" in it. this is one of the few thiings keeping me from using freebsd. some oone please help.

twantnix3 said:
I am not using it now. im using linux. can I start gnome with startx or slim instead of gdm?

Yes, just remove the gnome_enable from /etc/rc.conf and add:
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

Then add to ~/.xinitrc
Code:
exec gnome-session

Gnome should now start with startx.

Avahi is only used for MDNS to dynamically find services on your local network.

Do NOT add gdm to ttys. It'll crash and burn horribly.

lol ok. but my problem was that when I do it the xinitrc/startx way, when it enters the desktop, in the notification bar, is a whole slew of notifications saying "Opening File Manager"

Ok. Is your hostname set correctly in /etc/rc.conf?
Is DNS set correctly in /etc/resolv.conf?

If those are set properly, see if you're able to use the network without any odd error messages.

When everything seems to work try to move the 'old' gnome session directories out of the way. Or create a new user account and test with that. Gnome might have saved some strange things in one of it's directories in your home dir.

SirDice said:
Ok. Is your hostname set correctly in /etc/rc.conf?
Is DNS set correctly in /etc/resolv.conf?

If those are set properly, see if you're able to use the network without any odd error messages.

When everything seems to work try to move the 'old' gnome session directories out of the way. Or create a new user account and test with that. Gnome might have saved some strange things in one of it's directories in your home dir.

my hostname is now newpc, it was localhost.. im a ex linux user so if the is wrong please tell me

The hostname needs to be fully qualified. Something like mymachine.somedomain.home. The domain itself doesn't have to exist.

Back