Solved Gave walking papers to (quit) our old ISP

Well, it has been a while since last writing a post to this forum. Sorry, for the delay. We (family and business) gave walking papers (quitting) our old ISP (internet service provider). The Attorney-General reached a legal settlement with this ISP, and we felt that such poor service (wrongful acts) was just about enough. So, I have been working pretty hard playing catch-up with communications and getting the boxes in running condition.
This is just FYI.

Who was the ISP?
I recently had troubles with Cox Cable where my speed went to near zero.
I pin-pointed it to rain. When it rained my connection went to crap.
So I figured somewhere there was an equipment cabinet that was leaky.
With this solid information in hand I started calling the ISP about the problem when it rained.
They kept telling me my connection had a low signal strength and would have to send a technician to my house.
I got so mad arguing with these bozos I almost went to Verizon FIOS.
When I went to a neighbor they had the same issue. So this was a network problem but they wanted to send a technician to my house.
I even got loud with them and told them to kick it up to the next level of customer support.
That was a joke as they had the same diagnosis. Low signal strength.
I explained that it was a moisture issue in their hardware and all my connection gear was good.
The customer support people for Cox are not very inept.
About a month ago everything seemed in order. So they fixed the leaky cabinet. No clown required at my home.

Roughly two weeks ago I had a DNS problem. Connection speed was fine but DNS was hosed.
Cloudflare was the culprit and it was a peering issue. Try explaining that to a dolt on the phone.
Between traceroute and ping I had diagnosed it myself. Why my ISP would not listen to me is absurd.

I pay $84.99USD a month for 100megabit and I barely see 75megabit.
This is for internet only as I use Over the Air DTV with a 30ft. ariel.

I consider 85 bucks a month pretty high for lackluster performance.
Cox fought off the John Doe file sharing lawsuits and I admire that. Verizon rolled right on over.
They are also a family owned business and I like that.
Regardless internet connectivity is a utility and it must work. Especially since I don't believe in smart phones.
Thank Goodness I keep an cellular internet plan for mobile. Otherwise I would have been screwed.

A year ago I purchased a prepaid data-only plan from T-Mobile, and in a couple of days discovered they drop SIP sessions right at the moment the callee answers. People on forums confirmed that they do that on purpose, and it doesn't make much sense to fight. So, I requested refund, they refused, and showed me fine-print in the agreement (prepaid service is not refundable). I was able to get my money back as a credit card payment refund by opening a dispute and submitting the explanation to my bank.

I pay $84.99USD a month for 100megabit and I barely see 75megabit.
Currently I pay $44.95 a month to Comcast (Xfinity) for 50Mbps/5Mbps service, but the actual speed is 75Mbps/6Mbps. After a year of promotional price of $35/month they inflated it to $80, but I was able to negotiate 2 years (so far) for $44.94/month, will see what's going to happen then.
$85 is insane, what's your uplink speed? I'm not happy with my 6Mbps, but nobody offers better in this area.

The mobile phone (cellular) I like best is: Ting Mobile - $18.00/month - 80 minutes (calls) + 950 texts +
450 MB data; you basically pay only for what you use. They have fiber cable internet in a dozen or more
cities, but none of these are close to us.

Mobile Telcoms insist on labeling it as a wireless hotspot with unrealistic data caps and over use charges
2 years ago I had to use my phone for tethering at remote location for a couple of days, and, using a browser in my laptop, discovered that all web sites' images were scaled down to a size below 50kB. That was on AT&T network.

I live in the Seattle metro and have 1 Gbps broadband from "Wave G". I've generally been happy, except for the crappy peering to some sites where I need to use download accelerators (axel) to improve throughput.

Verizon FiOS in NYC had very good peering despite me then being on 300 Mbps then. But then Verizon is a Tier-1 ISP while Wave has a small regional Tier-2 network. However I have a grudge against Verizon.

The local telco where I live now, Frontier, refuses to wire new buildings including mine (they are nearing bankruptcy). And of course I don't want Comcast (especially since I don't want cable TV nor do I have a monopoly). If I had Frontier (FiOS, not DSL) as an option, I may have taken them if I got better peering and will just suck in the crappy support.

I live in the Seattle metro and have 1 Gbps broadband from "Wave G". I've generally been happy, except for the crappy peering to some sites where I need to use download accelerators (axel) to improve throughput.
How far can you go at 1 Gbps and with what latency - ea. Europe, Japan, Korea or?

I live in a typical US shithole with one main street, by Pacific Coast within the State of Washington, where people still drop trees to burn them in their wood stoves to heat their houses and trashed mobile homes - lol
Other than that, I'm glad to have Comcast's thick cable hanging on the pole next to my house. They're the only local ISP in the area to choose from that offer decent net speeds. I'm getting so called business class connection with 100/25 Mbps for $100 bucks with 5 static IPs and pass through routing to do wtf I want. So, I do httpd, smptd, imapd and few other daemons, driven by AI of FreeBSD.
I'm happy with what I have, where I'm at, to play on Internet.

Back