g530 gnome log in bug after 8.0 -> 8.2

Hello,

I'd been running the final 64bit 8.0 on my lenovo g530 laptop with no problems whatsoever, then decided to upgrade yesterday with a clean install to 8.2 on the same system.

I like to use gnome, but after installing gnome2, gdm, and xorg, when I start up I get the normal login screen, only where it normally says "Other.." to log in it doesn't say anything (i.e. the box has no button to click on but rather just a slim horizontal line). Otherwise the install is A-OK (from cmd line everything is there, updates normally, etc).

After the install I updated the system and ports..

Thanks in advance for anyone's time!
-bg

big_girl said:
I'd been running the final 64bit 8.0 on my lenovo g530 laptop with no problems whatsoever, then decided to upgrade yesterday with a clean install to 8.2 on the same system.
Are you a time traveler? 8.2 doesn't exist yet.

I like to use gnome, but after installing gnome2, gdm, and xorg, when I start up I get the normal login screen, only where it normally says "Other.." to log in it doesn't say anything (i.e. the box has no button to click on but rather just a slim horizontal line). Otherwise the install is A-OK (from cmd line everything is there, updates normally, etc).

Is /proc mounted?

solved

thanks for that, SD.

if anyone else who's not good w/ freebsd has this issue, this fixed mine-

boot into single user mode, mount root fs and edit the fstab file to mount proc at startup-

Code:
mount -u /
/rescue/vi /etc/fstab

then add this line to fstab-
Code:
proc   /proc   procfs   rw   0   0

Back