FWIW: Windows vs. Linux vs. FreeBSD vs. OSX - 12 dimensional analysis

Haha, I made it to
Code:
The new journaled ext3 and ext4 filesystems fix the problems with ext2 which is now only used as swap,
before I had to just stop. Thumbs up, funniest article I've read in a while.

Windows uses a lot of system resources and it is very difficult to keep the system up for more than a couple of months without it reverting to a crawl as memory gets corrupted and filesystems fragmented.
This is BS. In 9999 out of the 10000 cases when this happens it's the third party software you installed that's causing it. Windows cannot protect you against crappy programmers that can't do proper memory management.

Oh, and I'm not even going to mention the BS regarding Windows security.

SirDice said:
This is BS. In 9999 out of the 10000 cases when this happens it's the third party software you installed that's causing it. Windows cannot protect you against crappy programmers that can't do proper memory management.

simple solution:
* use notepad for everything related to text
* use calc for everything related to math and sci
* use pain instead of fotoshop etc

My point is whether it's Microsofts fault or not, you don't have much choice, than use all that bloat (with few exceptions).

killasmurf86 said:
My point is whether it's Microsofts fault or not, you don't have much choice, than use all that bloat (with few exceptions).
Yes, and my point is that a lot of people are quick to blame windows for pretty much everything. Even if it's clearly a third party that's causing the issues.

SirDice said:
Yes, and my point is that a lot of people are quick to blame windows for pretty much everything. Even if it's clearly a third party that's causing the issues.

Well not to wax philosophically, I work in a windows shop and from my experience people who have been brought up in a strictly Microsoft environment can only think in the point and click mindset and can't or don't want to know what is actually going on behind the GUI. It is so frustrating to me to start talking to programmers or network people and watch their eyes glaze over. I think in a sense Windows is it's own enemy as that very few people actually understand what is going on behind it or understand the theory. When our CIO brought in a Web Architect - because she decided we should go our web in .Net, because everybody else does - the first thing he said to me was he did not know C or Apache because that was for geeks and there was no need to know all that.

Fortunately for me and my organization our Directors and senior database people comes from a VMS and Solaris background. A few spent years programming mainframes.

SirDice said:

win32 api sucks, but that's obviously not microsoft's fault, right?

haha, my highly developed CarpetSense is smelling a FreeBSD fanboy in that article ;)

True, to some point at least.
But one must ask if it is wise for an OS to just allow *every* program to run itself at boot time? I've never had issues with FreeBSD running unwanted services at boottime after I've installed a program.

Again, up to some point this is true, but the Windows OS is **incredibly** complicated, and makes it **very** hard to debug and actually fix stuff once they go wrong.

There is a old quote from the '80's (I don't remember from who): "You can make a system simple so that there are no obvious faults, or you can make a system complicated so that there are no obvious faults."

You guess which one is Windows and which one is BSD ;)

True. Infinite manifold of the world consists of definite number of molecules that consist of just above a hundred elements (mostly below hundred). Those elements consist of just 3 particles and those particles consist of only 2 quarks. Who knows if those 2 quarks consist of something singular? Very simple but it took millenniums to realize.
On the other hand it's M$ who turned all the World into computing one.
However like it's always in history things come and go...

The swap part is funny, of course.
A common Linux installation is Linux + Gnu, so the core system doesn't look that different from a fresh BSD-install. All other things come on top of that.
Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux#GNU:
The GNU userland is an important part of most Linux-based systems, providing the most common implementation of the C library, a popular shell, and many of the common Unix tools which carry out many basic operating system tasks.
Not that it would matter much to me.

Both are well known facts and easy to find with a searchengine of choice.

fronclynne said:
Haha, I made it to
Code:
The new journaled ext3 and ext4 filesystems fix the problems with ext2 which is now only used as swap,
before I had to just stop. Thumbs up, funniest article I've read in a while.

Your comment wake my curiosity so I took a look at the original text. It reads :

The new journaled ext3 and ext4 filesystems fix the problems with ext2 which is now only used as swap, and the ext2 gets it's performance via an asynchronous mount (which is good for swap, not so much for file storage).

My reading is that the author is discussing about the asynchronous mount being good for swap, not stating that ext2 is only good for swap. But again, maybe I'm wrong?

hansivers said:
Your comment wake my curiosity so I took a look at the original text. It reads :

The new journaled ext3 and ext4 filesystems fix the problems with ext2 which is now only used as swap (...)

My reading is that the author is discussing about the asynchronous mount being good for swap, not stating that ext2 is only good for swap. But again, maybe I'm wrong?

Quoted for emphasis. Yes, I think you're wrong.

During installation i am getting asked which filesystesmtype to use for swap. As filesystemtype i have to choose swap, not ext2.
My fstab says this:
Code:
# <file system> <mount point>  [B] <type>[/B]  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc         [B]  proc   [/B] defaults        0       0
/dev/sda1       /              [B] ext3 [/B]  noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/sda3       none              [B]swap [/B]   sw              0       0
The gui-output of gparted confirms that too.
Of course i might be wrong and a swap partition is always said to use a swap-filesystem, but it is a camouflaged ext2 to confuse the users. No searchengine gave me other results than what i think i already know.

And, btw, with nowadays RAM-specs there is not much use for swap on Linux anyway. I got several installations without any swap (just realized that my swap was not swapped on...). I yet have to see the usage of swap when running 'htop', 'top' and similar commands.

PS: the term "Linux" is a bit confusing. When i speak of "Linux" is speak of Debian-based Linuxes. The others i don't know well, if at all.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this article was kinda rubbish. The comments on it seem to praise it highly though!

aragon said:
Glad I'm not the only one who thought this article was kinda rubbish. The comments on it seem to praise it highly though!

Consider this....

"8. Development Environment

Windows:
Very few development tools are included with Windows. Most need to be purchased separately, and are rarely compatible with each other. Vista tried to introduce a "Powershell" but it introduced more security vulnerabilities and not much of a development environment.
Grade: F"

I've been using Visual Studio & SQL Server Express Editions at work for the last 5 years. They are better than most open source crap. IIS comes with OS install itself. What else? Libraries and frameworks? Stuff like WPF, WCF, Silverlight etc. are available for all and sundry. For C++ developemnt for last couple of years I've also adopted QtCreator (what? quality products only from corporations even though open source??).

Sorry doesn't fly.

Similar is the case with rest of the article. Take for example BSOD. Its been ages I saw one (some early XP versions).

I've said it another thread and I'll repeat here again, MS has rolled out some excellent technologies in last few years. Open source bigots might wallow in a mix of ignorance and blind hatred and in process they will deny their own community (sad that few jerks claim to speak for the entire open source community) a chance to keep themselves abreast with latest in their field.

What the the fcuk is "Windows" by the way? Windows 3.1 or Windows 7? What is Windows XP feature doing in so-called "article" written in 2010?

No wonder open source is viewed with distrust by CTOs as basement hack job.

SirDice said:

Oh, and I'm not even going to mention the BS regarding Windows security.

Well it starts as the 3p software fault when it's running, it becomes the OS's problem when the 3p ap exits (yes the 3p ap "should clean up after itself" but if doesn't, it's not too much to ask an OS to properly release handles ect.. Windows: F, 'nix: A). (Just as doze's UI is cobbled up bling on their old version so is their "multi-tasking" just hacks (on top of hacks on top of hacks) of their old single tasking kernal.)

Oh, you are right not to mention the BS regarding security [coming out of Redmond] because looking at the CERT advisories it even their shiny new 'doze-7/2008 still looks bad.

killasmurf86 said:
Well it's windows and American Capitalism, that created such situation in first place {I think}

With all due respect, this is nonsense. It was the peoples choice. Microsoft didn't press people to use their operating system. And most of the time the operating system of choice isn't even responsible for faulty behaviour. *BSD is better in some areas, it's crap in others compared e.g. to Linux. Windows tends to be more problematic sometimes, but you cannot generalize it. Focus on the people in front of their machines, then you'll see the problem at once.

oliverh said:
It was the peoples choice. Microsoft didn't press people to use their operating system.
Not entirely correct. Certainly not back in the early days. Microsoft sold licenses to OEMs per sold CPU. It didn't matter if that PC was sold to Joe Public with or without Windows. The OEM already paid for it. Guess what 'choices' the OEM, and as a result, Joe Public had.

SirDice said:
Not entirely correct. Certainly not back in the early days. Microsoft sold licenses to OEMs per sold CPU. It didn't matter if that PC was sold to Joe Public with or without Windows. The OEM already paid for it. Guess what 'choices' the OEM, and as a result, Joe Public had.

It always amazed me and pissed me off, that during the big MS antitrust government law suit that this wasn't the major focus, not the integration of IE into the OS.

SirDice said:

That's theoretically true, but practically futile. Back in the early days (80s), if you're refering to those, you had the choice to avoid a PC -- as I did for example. And if you're prone to presents, that's not the fault of Microsoft. But since the days of Windows 3.11/95 it's really hard to avoid Microsoft Windows, because you have to use certain products at least in most professional environments. Linux or even *BSD aren't, aside from server, coding or number-crunching facilities, a viable alternative. Today, it's possible for average joe to cope with those "free alternatives", if the sole purpose of your computer at home serves some average use like browser, mail etc. pp. Nowadays, you don't have a real choice anymore appliance dictates your "choice".

Back