Future of FreeBSD GNOME

While GNOME Shell works superb with FreeBSD -- there is no difference what is

imho :)

And may be they'll create GNOME-BSD after all :D Who knows.
How is the take of GNOME with regard of systemd? Maybe they are past the point where they could, without throwing away some already working and established things? Oh, right - we are talking about GNOME and Linux, so that would not be a first...

How is the take of GNOME with regard of systemd? Maybe they are past the point where they could, without throwing away some already working and established things? Oh, right - we are talking about GNOME and Linux, so that would not be a first...

Yeah, that's how I think about it. It's hard to want to use a desktop environment that practically has a stated goal of obsoleting every operating system that isn't dependent on Lennartware.

Gentoo has an interesting (non-systemd) patchset: https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-project-gnome-without-systemd looks like there is support for even 3.20
While kind of interesting in the sense of "look, it's possible to get it work", I don't see much more sense in it. Why do such a thing? What about long-term maintainability? There is already one really full featured desktop environment that values portability (KDE), there are some smaller ones that will probably stay portable (even one designed with BSD in mind, namely Lumina) and then there are tons of possibilities to create your own DE out of portable components with a lot of window managers to choose from -- so why bother for GNOME? I don't get it ...

there are some smaller ones that will probably stay portable...

One of the primary Xfce devs is active in OpenBSD development. All the screenshots of the current release on the Xfce homepage were taken on an OpenBSD box, just to prove a point. ;)

And I agree with you---how much time and energy would be spent getting one desktop to sort of work, that could be better spent improving things that are already designed to work?

One of the primary Xfce devs is active in OpenBSD development. All the screenshots of the current release on the Xfce homepage were taken on an OpenBSD box, just to prove a point. ;)
Yes, I think at this point x11-wm/xfce4 is one of the most portable desktop environments.

Althought, I like how GNOME looks and does stuff, and heve been using it as my DE since the first version of it, I am a bit worried about the way it is heading to...i.e. a linux only, systemd, wayland dependent desktop environmet....So, I do agree with Zirias in saying that long-term meaintenance would be an issue considering the size of the software package.

And, systemd wikipedia page states

As of 2015, many Linux distributions have adopted systemd as their default init system.[8] The increasing adoption of systemd has been controversial, with critics arguing the software has violated the Unix philosophy by becoming increasingly complex, and that distributions have been forced to adopt it due to the dependency of various other software upon it, including, most notably, the GNOME 3 desktop environment.

And, systemd wikipedia page states

As of 2015, many Linux distributions have adopted systemd as their default init system.[8] The increasing adoption of systemd has been controversial, with critics arguing the software has violated the Unix philosophy by becoming increasingly complex, and that distributions have been forced to adopt it due to the dependency of various other software upon it, including, most notably, the GNOME 3 desktop environment.

This shouldn't annoy me as much as it does. I don't even actively use Gnome 3. It just sucks to see how far it's fallen from what it once was.

They seem to be on-board with all the reasons I came to UNIX-like systems in the first place. Hard dependencies on a single project from a (mostly) single company. Yes, anyone can technically fork the project. But to compete in the long term, you would need to find the same level of sponsorship.

Yeah. Now GNOME Team " way" is unfair to their fans and users IMHO.
They force people to use GNU/Linux and systemd. It seems that they have even no official support for Gentoo?
They definitely changed their way --

News from March 26, 2014 GNOME 3.12 Release:
For our BSD friends, GNOME has enhanced portability, with over 150 FreeBSD issues fixed and test builds running regularly. Work for other operating systems is ongoing.

They seem to be on-board with all the reasons I came to UNIX-like systems in the first place.

You must be talking about UNIX-Philosophy

"This is the Unix philosophy: Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a universal interface."

I think he means that the lack of this philosophy drove him out of the "hole in wall" land and finally here.

I think KDE is the answer for users of FreeBSD. Give him a chance.
Firstly
And KDE is very slow and looks like *hit :) It reminds me Windows™ 98®, that was raped by Windows™ Vista®, with some Adobe™ Flash® animations added :D

So it's not an option for many people.
(IMO)

But there are some alternatives to GNOME 3, like x11/mate or x11-wm/xfce4.
Personally I'm using x11-wm/awesome as a backup graphical shell now,
it can be configured to act the way you want.
x11-wm/awesome version that available in ports - 3.5.8,1, is outdated a little,
latest version is 3.5.9 that was released on 6 March 2016,
to use the latest version I edited
- PORTVERSION= 3.5.8
+ PORTVERSION= 3.5.9
and
SHA256 (awesome-3.5.9.tar.xz) = c7f8b5e4578751688d70ec8c410c55316e22bca8ec1195c622274f1f7254d64f
SIZE (awesome-3.5.9.tar.xz) = 723084
And it's working fine for me.
Снимок экрана от 2016-04-17 11-22-49.png

Back