Other fuseblk

I'm not sure if this is the right area for this but if not maybe you could direct me to a more appropriate spot.

I unknowingly copied files (mp4) to a Fuse device (USB). Is there any way to recover/restore these files?

Thank you

If you copied the files then the originals are still there? What would need to be recovered? And what is a "fuse device"?

The source drive is no longer available. The copied files have no meta data (everything under properties except the size is zero).
They show up as the correct size on the USB drive. They can Not be viewed/played. All the files worked perfectly on the source drive.

In Windows10 it states NTFS. Is there a Linux command that would confirm this filesystem on the USB drive?
(Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)
Thank you

The USB drive is listed as /dev/sdc1.
The output to 'file -s /dev/sdc1' is "/dev/sdc1: no read permission"
Is this correct?

Output of file -s /dev/sdc1 is the following:
Code:
/dev/sdc1: DOS/MBR boot sector, code offset 0x52+2, OEM-ID "NTFS    ", sectors/cluster 8, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/track 63, heads 255, hidden sectors 32, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x0), FAT (1Y bit by descriptor); NTFS, sectors/track 63, physical drive 0x80, sectors 524287967, $MFT start cluster 786432, $MFTMirror start cluster 2, bytes/RecordSegment 2^(-1*246), clusters/index block 1, serial number 032bee239bee1f4ef
Thanks.

Okay, I think I've tried everything I can find on the Interweb but to no avail. Here is what I tried, maybe I went off the rails along the way.
Downloaded NTFS-3G, ./configure, make, sudo make install. Everything looks good. Then I unmounted /dev/sdc1 then mounted the USB drive using: sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/owner Or sudo ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/owner Or sudo mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/owner. All of these mount the USB drive fine and I can read all the files (that has never been the problem, the USB drive has always mounted and viewed fine). Every way of mounting the USB drive does Not give me any additional information on the files that has been lost.
See attachment. Left side Properties is a good (original) file, Right side Properties is a Bad (copied onto USB) file. The two files are Exactly the same size. Thx

Attachments

• USB_Copy_Problem.png
    USB_Copy_Problem.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 108
Okay, I think I've tried everything I can find on the Interweb but to no avail. Here is what I tried, maybe I went off the rails along the way.
Downloaded NTFS-3G, ./configure, make, sudo make install. Everything looks good. Then I unmounted /dev/sdc1 then mounted the USB drive using: sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/owner Or sudo ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/owner Or sudo mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/owner. All of these mount the USB drive fine and I can read all the files (that has never been the problem, the USB drive has always mounted and viewed fine). Every way of mounting the USB drive does Not give me any additional information on the files that has been lost.
Are you even using FreeBSD? I'm seriously wondering.

(Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)
Sorry, apparently missed that. You're in the wrong neighborhood. Rule #7: FreeBSD Forums Rules

So I thought I'd just do a Quick install of FreeBSD and continue on . . . Not to Bash but OMG, where do I start?!...HOURS later and I still don't don't even have a GUI. Wow....Now, I remember why I went w/ Ubuntu. Unless your a computer science grad there's No way your going to get this OS up and running. Thanks again for all your help.

So I thought I'd just do a Quick install of FreeBSD and continue on . . . Not to Bash but OMG, where do I start?!...HOURS later and I still don't don't even have a GUI. Wow....Now, I remember why I went w/ Ubuntu. Unless your a computer science grad there's No way your going to get this OS up and running. Thanks again for all your help.
How is so hard to pkg install the_de_you_want? If you're not able to use the package manager to search and install or even man packagemanager (that serves to any operating system), maybe you should stick to an operating system that do everything for you instead.

It's unlikely that FreeBSD fits your needs (it isn't that hard for a certain class of people). Ubuntu is a fine operating system for those that want their system to just work and have a GUI from the get-go, but it remains that the FreeBSD Forums are not called the Ubuntu Forums.

… don't don't even have a GUI. …

FreeBSD-based systems such as GhostBSD might be of interest.

where do I start?!
You start with reading the handbook: FreeBSD Handbook. I know reading manuals is typically not done but reading the handbook is well worth the effort. You might actually learn something from it.

Unless your a computer science grad there's No way your going to get this OS up and running.
We've helped people get started with a lot less computer knowledge but you're going to need to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. FreeBSD is not an OS to be taken lightly, it's going to require a certain amount of configuration and effort from you to get things working the way you want it. It's fine if you're not up for that, but then FreeBSD isn't for you and you should just stick to Ubuntu and ask your questions on Ubuntu focused forums. This forum is for FreeBSD users, we provide support for FreeBSD exclusively.

Back