FuryBSD is dead..

Is that a Chinese word? Jitte in Japanese is a medieval police weapon. (Also called jutte).
Idle curiosity.

It's Japanese for 10 Hands and my given name since the 80's. It's always been my usr name and considered my real name no matter what name I use.

Sword Breaker in your spelling for a weapon to catch and break the sword still used by Police today. My spelling to mean like having 10 Hands, te meaning hand as in empty hand. Correctly pronounced jit -ta with the A sound, mine sounds like it's spelled.
I was also active in the beginning on pcbsd forums, I think that somewhere in my scientifically named oldstuff, there's still an interview with Kris Moore for an online BSD magazine, not sure if it managed to produce an issue or not. Gosh, I've gotten old. :-( This was way back when, when PCBSD first started.

I have beta disks v 0.73, v 0.75, PC-BSD v 1.5 and pick up at PC-BSD 7. Your pf guide is how I learned to use it and we talked before back then. I remember Jules, too.

Nobody said anything or spoke up but me though when the GUI they implemented broke pf. I found the bug, reported it in a post, demonstrated it and showed how to fix it on the user end by use of a simple 2 line ruleset to replace it. I was totally ignored and got no response from the Moore Bros or Dru for 2 months in either of two posts I made so they could not miss the ruckus I raised.

When some guy joined who said he was going to deploy it to run his business, thinking he had a working firewall, I was done with being ignored. I took it to where I knew my voice would be heard and it didn't take them long to hear it for themselves when I posted at Wilders, or get a patch issued when they had intended to wait till the next release.

That's a black mark on their character the black sheep quiet about after fingering them for their failure to the flock that followed them faithfully. I never spoke of it here or would have out of Professionalism and the time I had invested in it.

If not for them trying to Ghost me for fear I would make it known did they suffer the consequences of it becoming known. It's one of my standard lesson plans and the result of their own actions.

Class dismissed.

Glad to hear the guide helped someone, even if it is years old by now. I think I was out of PCBSD by that time of the firewall incident, I feel as if I would have remembered it.

I would argue with your pronunciation of te being ta, at least in standard Japanese. Often words get changed in a dialect and I wonder if that's the reason you use ta. Could it be Okinawan? (Just asking, and nostalgically remembering the days of AOL martial arts mailing lists, where people would start challenging others to a fight over such things. I'm old and weak, so I'm *not* challenging).

Wikipedia is writing jutte as 十手, the 10 hands. I think that's the standard spelling for the weapon too. Anyway, I like the name, and I'm sure there's an interesting story behind you adapting it.
As I've aged, I have lost multitasking ability, so I'm envious. :)

Glad to hear the guide helped someone, even if it is years old by now. I think I was out of PCBSD by that time of the firewall incident, I feel as if I would have remembered it.

You must have left by then. I'm sure you would have remembered if you were there because you would have known what I was talking about and spoke up, too. I posted a screenshot of the error thrown to my photobucket account as jitte nusumi (nusumi = stealing hand) but it's long gone:

keep state on block rules doesn't make sense
skipping rule due to errors
rule expands to no valid combination
pfctl: Syntax error in config file: pf rules not loaded
I would argue with your pronunciation of te being ta, at least in standard Japanese. Often words get changed in a dialect and I wonder if that's the reason you use ta. Could it be Okinawan? (Just asking, and nostalgically remembering the days of AOL martial arts mailing lists, where people would start challenging others to a fight over such things. I'm old and weak, so I'm *not* challenging).

Wikipedia is writing jutte as 十手, the 10 hands. I think that's the standard spelling for the weapon too. Anyway, I like the name, and I'm sure there's an interesting story behind you adapting it.
As I've aged, I have lost multitasking ability, so I'm envious. :)
Since you asked, jitte is a Shotokan black belt kata where you practice defense movements against someone with a staff and take it away from them. Start and ending in the same place or you're not doing it right:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTFKXpmyPus

I posted a video of this guy breaking a board with his fingertips. I could never do that or what he does here. But I could walk up, set and break one hanging on a string like that with a reverse punch. No measuring, no drawing, just smack it. And where the name comes from:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXODb4fRDM0

Here is the jutte and they spell it both ways:

ka-ra-ta as pronounced by a Japanese speaker. That's the sound I was trying to get across:

I'm old now, too.

Hrrm, when I was studying Japanese (when I was doing martial arts), I usually heard it pronounced te, like eh, I guess. That's pretty good, being able to break a free hanging board. I want to think that I might have been able to do that in my prime, but never tried. it. '

To try to keep out of trouble, and put this back on topic, I may as well mention that in one of these desktop threads, I mentioned that hellosystem was based on 12.1 and not working properly with my T495's wireless. However, they now have a 12.2 based one. I ran it from a USB, and for those who like Mac, it might be a good choice. They do make it resemble a Mac, and basic stuff I tried (youtube video, though I didn't try netflix, prime, or others requiring widevine), browsing and so on, worked pretty well.

...and basic stuff I tried (youtube video, though I didn't try netflix, prime, or others requiring widevine), browsing and so on, worked pretty well.
It's worked well for me on any FreeBSD derivatives (Ghost, Nomad,...) and FreeBSD itself. Not a surprise if helloSystem just worked. My hardware is old and well supported.

Back