FuryBSD is dead..

For those looking for a polished out-of-the-box FreeBSD desktop there is still GhostBSD. I personally don't like the MATE desktop much (there is also a Xfce version but it is unofficial and poorly finished) but I think the project is interesting otherwise, it comes with lots of things preconfigured for desktop use and a few useful custom tools like a graphical wifi manager.

While I prefer building my desktop systems from scratch, I think ready-to-use products definitely have their place in the ecosystem. They are also quite practical for testing hardware compatibility without having to install.

I personally never tried FuryBSD. I wrote sad because I think it did contributed something in the popularity of BSD if not nothing. I prefer FreeBSD btw. vigole truth to be told I really want to use FreeBSD as a desktop OS it's not because LINUX can't fulfill my needs, it's because I find FreeBSD more free and open than LINUX and I do keep handbook PDF handy in my phone but thanks anyways. I did saw GhostBSD was facing some issues couple of months back, I hope it won't close it's curtains anytime soon. 🙂

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
I find having more/better drivers, or e.g. the work shkhln does with porting linux steam and prodding the devs into fixing linux compat issues, much more contributing to "popularity of BSD" than yet another "distribution". Of course, everyone is free to waste their own time on whatever projects they like, but to me it's one of the downsides of open source communities, with all that useless forking and duplicating (in best case) of efforts.

I really want to use FreeBSD as a desktop OS it's not because LINUX can't fulfill my needs, it's because I find FreeBSD more free and open than LINUX and I do keep handbook PDF handy in my phone
When you start to learn FreeBSD, it seems it's a little harder than Linux (just a little may I say!), but it isn't. For me it wasn't because after DOS/Windows my 1st experience with Libre, unix-like (or whatever they want to call it these days) operating systems was FreeBSD. You have to push a little and read through documentation. After that, you'll recognise it's far more easier than Linux. Beside that it makes more sense. You'll discover there's rationale behind the design and structure of FreeBSD operating system. There's no such element in GNU/Linux environment, only rationalisations.

GNU/Linux has a big fat problem in their hands. They want to be unix and at the same time turn to a windows alternative. Forget about unix and posix, Linux wants to be the next Windows. Unless Microsoft or other big corporations buy them, they can't. Full-feature and easy to use Desktop OS with shinny installer to support every single combination of different hardware needs capital. You have to spend load of cash everywhere, from developer to public relation.

I thinks FreeBSD can be next big Desktop OS, but it needs cash! At the moment Project and Foundation doesn't have such capital. But it is not impossible.

I know a lot of people want to send blankets or water. Just send your cash.

I never knew why it could be dead, if we can still get it everywhere online...
That's correct, but only up to a point. You're fine until svn update /usr/src or svn update /usr/ports produces A, D, U, etc. At this point, (/dev/random)BSDs will hose you down!

I knew (and tried): GhostBSD; NomadBSD; OpenBSD; NetBSD. There are some options for a non experienced user/dared user to try.

Perhaps showing that they made use of things aimed at less experieneced users and others aimed at more experienced. (Not that I'm saying I know their mind, but just how it seems to me). I liked FreesBie when it was around, I'd use it to give folks a quick intro to how well FreeBSD could work, and though I never used FuryBSD, I'm sorry to see it go. Folks forget how, before Ubuntu, Linux support was scarce, but after it helped popularize Linux, by being (at the time) more likely to work out of the box than others, hardware and software vendors seemed more willing to support it. While people seem to decry a BSD that worked out of the box, it's quite possible that were such to come along, it might do more to help than to hurt FreeBSD. And for those who say, oh no, then we'll get newcomers asking dumb questions, simple, just ignore their posts. I find it hard to believe that anyone's day is so full that clicking on what turned out to be a dumb question really interferes with their life.

(My original post mistakenly read Nomad, not FuryBSD. I've fixed it).

Folks forget how, before Ubuntu, Linux support was scarce, but after it helped popularize Linux
It didn't, "desktop" linux is still isn't a thing, and "enterprise" interest in linux where all the "cool stuff" came from is irrelevant to ubuntu's attempts at desktop.

Did you mean FuryBSD? As far as I can tell NomadBSD is still live. But perhaps I'm missing something?

Yes, I've fixed it in the original post (with a mention of my error, so people understand your post). Thanks for catching that.

I happened to reply in a harsh & impatient fashion to a what I considered a dumb question & hopefully I'll never make that mistake again. Every noob has every right to enjoy the benefits of (one of) the best, advanced & truly free OS that exist. Period. Quoting Eisenhower again: "[...] Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite. [...]" Yes, FreeBSD is a professional system, but it should be available to everyone. This implies the wizzards are willing to share their knowlegde, even when it's sometimes inconvenient. Remember the time will come when you're asking someone for the inconvenience to clean your butt... oh wait, maybe we'll have robots for that then.

Quoting Eisenhower again: "[...] Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite. [...]
Thanks for quoting Eisenhower properly. Quoting Eisenhower's full statement without censoring final words are very rare. There's a tendency among the many to censor the last part i.e. "scientific-technological elite". I wonder why. No I don't!

RIP. Good news is GhostBSD is now in TOP50 according to distrowatch.com

But I wonder why we need GUI in FreeBSD. CLI is enough for it. Maybe it makes newbies easier to adopt to the system, but there are not much gui software for FreeBSD.

It gives people with mild curiosity more incentive to see what FreeBSD is. People who don't (yet) want to put much effort into it but might find that they like it, get an interest in it, and become developers who create some program useful to the rest of us, in my humble opinion. Some folks fear that a simple to use one will bring the newcomers asking the silly questions, but seriously, how much will that affect my life? Whereas someone taking an interest, and winding up developing something useful will have a good effect on my life.

Back