ftp guide 15.1?

ftp used to be so easy on 14

I fouled it up

Is there a guide ? for 15.1?

on a home network is ssh / sftp just as fast? I thought in past ftp was much faster?
 
I think ssh/sftp would be a good choice!
Theoretically, FTP is probably faster, since there is no encryption.
But I think the speed is about the same on modern CPUs.
There are also many different factors that can affect speed...
 
well ftp is on it's way out. the cli programs that use to be in windows and macos are gone. browser support is gone. also ftp sucks because it needs 2 sockets
perhaps the idea to use FTP on a home network is to plug in old devices.
For example, I use FTP to copy files from my Android phone to a FreeBSD.
 
the cli programs that use to be in windows and macos are gone.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion, but it's incorrect. In fact, the command is actually still being actively maintained.

Code:
PS C:\Users\peter> (Get-ComputerInfo).OSVersion ; Get-Command ftp
10.0.19045

CommandType     Name                                               Version    Source
-----------     ----                                               -------    ------
Application     ftp.exe                                            10.0.19... C:\Windows\system32\ftp.exe
This is on Windows 10.

On Windows 11 (OSVersion 10.0.26200) the version of ftp.exe is even boosted to 10.0.26100 (vs. 10.0.19041 above).
 
Back
Top