Frequent interruptions of IO in FreeBSD 11.2?

I just did a fresh install of FreeBSD 11.2 on my prior 11.1 box, and I'm finding now after doing so, I will frequently have my audio cut out for just a moment. My audio plays out of USB to a FiiO E10K external DAC. I don't know sound, and I don't know where to begin on this one. I'm also on KDE5 with phonon-gstreamer as my backend for phonon. No indication that there is high CPU causing this. In addition to the audio cutouts, I've noticed that sometimes there will be a jitter in my mouse movement, like there's a moment where my processor just ignores any sort of IO. I haven't noticed this while typing yet, but that could just be in the timing.

Last edited:
Just an update...I found this is more than just an audio issues, this is also affecting my mouse movement. Is there a way to delete threads? I want to remove this and post something new in a different section since this isn't just limited to audio

I found this is also affecting keyboard input. Since this is all I/O related but doesn't seem to affect storage media, could this be xorg related then? I use nvidia graphics for one...One thing that is different from my last setup is this time I ended up getting the nvidia stuff from x11/nvidia-driver instead of getting it with pkg. In addition to that, I configured my xorg.conf file with nvidia-xconfig (same as last time)

There are USB video cards. We use a couple different ones on Windows stations at work for multi-monitor setups. They're ok for office work, but you won't be playing 3D games using them.

That's not what the OP is using, though. They've got a normal Nvidia card. And a bunch of USB devices, which are experiencing drop-outs for some reason.

To the OP: are these USB 2.x or 3.x devices? Plugged into USB 2.x or 3.x ports? And are those ports connected direct to the CPU, the chipset, or a separate controller? Have you tried moving then between ports?

I specify nvidia because nvidia-xconfig generated the xorg.conf file, which, to my understanding, has all the x configs for keyboard/mouse input.

phoenix - these are USB 3.0 ports, and my external DAC is connected via USB 2.0. I haven't tried moving between ports, I'll give that a go right after posting this. To my understanding, my keyboard/mouse are going direct to the CPU, but my DAC is going to the B350 chipset. My mobo is an Asus B350 Gaming-F board, and I'm running a Ryzen 1600. My I/O connections haven't changed from 11.1 to 11.2

I would usually suggest disconnecting USB devices one by one, but then that motherboard (Asus B350 Gaming-F) doesn't have any PS/2 ports... F suffix seems quite appropriate here.

Let's try going over the first post again.

I just did a fresh install of FreeBSD 11.2 on my prior 11.1 box

Any particular reason for a fresh install? Did you copy config files (/boot/loader.conf, /etc, /usr/local/etc) from the previous installation?

I will frequently have my audio cut out for just a moment.

'Frequently' as in? How easy is it to observe? Does it consistently happen all the time?

My audio plays out of USB to a FiiO E10K external DAC. I don't know sound, and I don't know where to begin on this one. I'm also on KDE5 with phonon-gstreamer as my backend for phonon. No indication that there is high CPU causing this. In addition to the audio cutouts, I've noticed that sometimes there will be a jitter in my mouse movement, like there's a moment where my processor just ignores any sort of IO.

Can you (temporarily) switch to the onboard audio? If your problem is USB related there might still be mouse jitter, but sound should be ok.

Any particular reason for a fresh install? Did you copy config files (/boot/loader.conf, /etc, /usr/local/etc) from the previous installation?

I did a fresh install because my 11.1 install got totally obliterated when I tried to disable virtualbox kernel modules during my upgrade. Because it was unrecoverable, I just did a fresh install. Everything is a vanilla install. The only remnant of my 11.1 install is my home zpool that I later imported after the install.

'Frequently' as in? How easy is it to observe? Does it consistently happen all the time?

Frequent as in 1-3x per minute, but sometimes it could be once every 5 minutes. It's very easy to tell because the audio will hang up and mouse movement pausing will be very obvious. It happens all the time now.

Can you (temporarily) switch to the onboard audio? If your problem is USB related there might still be mouse jitter, but sound should be ok.
After about 10 minutes of playing audio from onboard audio, I found that I did not get this jitter. Even as my mouse was receiving the jitter. So this has to be a USB issue then. I'll be trying Windows 10 again later tonight to confirm that if it is in fact specific to FreeBSD after the update, or it's just that I'm now aware of the problem...it's been a week since I've been able to boot into Windows, I should be able to tonight

Okay, I had the chance to jump on Windows, Windows does not exhibit this USB jitter behavior so there's some sort of bug in FreeBSD

You may rum systat to see the interrupts, that may show some details missing.

stratacast1 - My workstation is a freebsd 11 stable with i3, nvidia graphics from ports, virtualbox from ports, and I also use a usb audio device. Sometime around the 11.2 RELEASE code freeze - I made the mistake of upgrading, and my mouse started stuttering absolutely terribly. It really seemed to be correlated with sata disk IO. It was so bad I initially thought my southbridge was melting or something. No effect on usb audio for me though. Before giving up, I upgraded once more after the freeze was released on STABLE, and all is good now. Better than ever actually. I'm on r336229. You should really try upgrading straight to STABLE - I suspect something is up with 11.2 r0.

It would be neat to pin down the actual diff that fixed this for me and make sure its fixed in 11.2 r1. I dont know much about that process though.

Nothing really sticks out running systat. I didn't see any sort of CPU spike, don't see anything happening as far as interrupts go

`uname -v`

FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE #0 r336229M: Thu Jul 12 20:41:11 CDT 2018

I guess I don't understand what revision numbers mean. Isn't the directory revision just the latest commit in the directory? I missed that M earlier. Whats the M?

I think that's encouraging to know I wasn't the only one having similar issues :p I'm on FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #0 r335510. I'll try updating to a newer revision today and see if that helps!

Weird. I don't compile my kernel, however I've used a search function on this forum to get a few more uname results for comparison. There more revision numbers pointing to CURRENT than to STABLE. I suppose I don't know how this works either.

CURRENT is their release for current working builds, that are the latest working builds and are using more experimental features and code, so they'd probably shove out more of these releases more often for testing. STABLE is branches from which major releases are made. They have lot mor detail here:

https://people.freebsd.org/~trhodes/doc/handbook/current-stable.html

Back