freenx + nxclient?

Hi all,

I am new to FreeBSD.

I have FreeNX installed on my remote workstations. But I don't know how to connect to it. I didn't find 'nxclient' for FreeBSD.

Any ideas?

Thank you, DutchDaemon:)

I've installed that port, but I cannot run *nxssh*

Code:
/usr/local/lib/linux-nx-client/bin/nxssh: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I guess that I missed some "linux" libraries. But I don't know what I should install, as there are many Linux stuff in /usr/ports/emulators/*linux*. I tried one of them and got the incompatibility problem (wrong linux kernel). I have

Code:
hw.snd.compat_linux_mmap: 0
compat.linux.oss_version: 198144
compat.linux.osrelease: 2.4.2
compat.linux.osname: Linux

Any ideas?

Thank you for your helps.

libcrypto is part of openssl. You can try to install security/linux-openssl but it looks like that one is too old.

What linux_base did you install? I think you'll have more luck using the linux_base-f8, pkg_delete all the currently installed linux-* packages.

Add the following to /etc/make.conf:
Code:
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8
OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=f8

Add to /etc/sysctl.conf:
Code:
compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16

After that install emulators/linux_base-f8 and security/linux-f8-openssl. When all that's done you can try to install the linux-nx-client again.

So sorry to say that I still get the same error after following SirDice's guides.

Any idea?

Have a look at the installed libcrypto libraries:

Code:
# ll /compat/linux/lib/libcrypto.so.*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1281672 Apr 13 10:37 libcrypto.so.0.9.8b
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel       19 Apr 13 10:37 libcrypto.so.6 -> libcrypto.so.0.9.8b

If you only have 0.9.8b and not 0.9.8 you can try to add a symlink:
Code:
# cd /compat/linux/lib
# ln -s libcrypto.so.6 libcrypto.so.0.9.8

It's probably due to linux-nx-client being linked to a slightly older version of openssl.

Thank you, Sir Dice.

After the making the symbolic links as you said, nxssh almost works. Now nxssh requires libXcomp.so.2. I didn't find any ports to install this library. In my system

Code:
[root@icy /compat]# find . |grep -i xcomp
./linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXcomposite.so.1
./linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXcomposite.so.1.0

Because I changed compat.linux.osrelease to 2.6.16 I guess that change may cause the problem. Is it right?

Thank you.

rocky said:
Because I changed compat.linux.osrelease to 2.6.16 I guess that change may cause the problem. Is it right?
Probably not.

Searching for libXcomp shows it's an NX compression library and part of the nx-client.

If I read the Makefile correctly it should have been installed with the linux-nx-client port/package:

Code:
.for f in libXcomp libXcompsh
	${INSTALL_DATA} ${NXSRC}/lib/${f}.so.${PORTVERSION} ${NXDST}/lib
	${LN} -sf ${f}.so.${PORTVERSION} ${NXDST}/lib/${f}.so
	${LN} -sf ${f}.so.${PORTVERSION} ${NXDST}/lib/${f}.so.2
.endfor

While there I also noticed this:
Code:
	${INSTALL_DATA} ${NXSRC}/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 ${NXDST}/lib
	${LN} -sf libcrypto.so.0.9.8 ${NXDST}/lib/libcrypto.so

Which is your missing libcrypto.so.0.9.8. Looks like the port doesn't do a good job.

Great! The libraries are installed into /usr/local/lib/linux-nx-client/lib/ and this path is not searchable. After making links

Code:
$ cd /compat/linux/lib && \
  ln -s /usr/local/lib/linux-nx-client/lib/lib*

nxssh works well :)

Thank you very much again.

Hi all,

I can run `nxssh` from root console but I can't run it from terminal of normal user

Code:
/usr/local/lib/linux-nx-client/bin/nxssh: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

`libpng` is already installed in /compat/linux/. So this problem relates to library search path.

How can I fix ld path for normal users?

Thank you for helps.

Strange, [cmd=]ldconfig -r[/cmd] as root and as a non-root/non-wheel user produces the exact same result here.

Yes it's really strange.

Code:
# ldconfig -r > /tmp/ldconfig_r1.txt # as root
$ ldconfig -r > /tmp/ldconfig_r2.txt # as non root user
$ diff /tmp/ldconfig_r1.txt /tmp/ldconfi_r2.txt
$ echo $?
0 # no differences :(

Please note that `nxssh` loads libraries from /compat/ . So problem may relate to that directory but I am not sure.

Any ideas?

Woh, I got it. Suddenly I found that the permissions of files in /compat/linux/ were changed (don't know why?). Just

Code:
# chmod 755 /compat/linux/usr/*

and it works :) bla bla bla

try opennx

Hey DutchDeamon,
I managed it to connect to my NXServer due to your hint where to find the missing libraries and another client 'opennx' from ports. You need to install both linux-nxclient and opennx, link the libraries, start opennx et voilà: it works!

Back