FreeNAS or FreeNAS functionality for PowerPC platform

Hello everybody,

I'm planning to use my PowerPC Macs as Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices. For this purpose, the most suitable NAS software seems to be FreeNAS but it's precompiled only for the i386 and amd64 platforms.

So, I wonder how I can make use of FreeNAS functionality on my PPC Mac if I install FreeBSD on it, are there instructions particularly for this purpose? Or better still, can I myself compile FreeNAS for the PPC platform, is it worth trying?

Thanks

FreeNAS is nothing more than FreeBSD with a few custom scripts. Everything else is just plain FreeBSD plus a few ports. Management would have to be done by hand but isn't really that difficult.

Thank you for the comment.

In the light of this, I assume I can install FreeBSD (for PPC) and configure it in such a way that it will act like a FreeNAS system, right?

I will opt for this direction and install FreeBSD with the aim of using it as plain NAS server.

Hi. What macs do you have? I have MacMini G4 and just wanted to install FreeBSD on it to work as router, firewall and www server. Was wondering how easy that is.

Thanks

polinux said:
...it didn't work for some strange reason with ad0...

This post might be helpful about that.

In my case, I had to reassign Apple Partition Map (APM) scheme to the harddisk using gpart command. Only after have I done that, have I managed to install FreeBSD-ppc.

Other 2 tips (which are not mentioned explicitly in the tutorials I've followed) are:

--> You can use gpart only from
Code:
Fixit-> 2- CD/DVD Use live filesystem CD/DVD
option, normal installation CD does not contain gpart. Livefs CD should be downloaded from that address: http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/bsdinstall-powerpc-20110308.iso.bz2 The other freebsd-ppc livefs downloads are buggy, that's reported by Nathan, who is closely related to freebsd-ppc development.

--> You create at least 6 partitions using gpart and then assign [CMD=""]/, swap, /tmp, /var, /usr, /home[/CMD] to each of these partitions in Disk Label, manually. A - auto defaults is not useful at this point.

Hi..! Its posible to have a .iso version of freebsd with freenas for powerpc?! just to install with a external drive?!
Thanks.

Its possible to have a .iso version of FreeBSD with FreeNAS for powerpc?!
We support FreeBSD, and only FreeBSD. There is FreeBSD media for PowerPC. FreeNAS is a custom installation. It's also a separate project. Perhaps you should ask the FreeNAS people for a PowerPC version?

• Thanks
Reactions: Erz
Back