[FreeNAS] 3G sata card with freenas support

as stated in the topic i need yall's suggestions on a 3g sata card that will work with freenas without having to install drivers for under a $100. i am an 11th grade student trying to set this up for a class project show any help would be appreciated.

Look into ata(4) for list of supported ATA chipsets. Usually the best choice is chipset built-in controllers. If you need external/additional, there are a lot of cheap JMicron, SiliconImage, Marvell, Promise based products.

If you need higher performance, I would recommend you to look on siis(4) and ahci(4) drivers at FreeBSD 8-STABLE branch. But it is not about FreeNAS.

integrated chipset performance will be disappointing to say the least.
try a Marvell (they might even e-mail you their driver for you to compile yourself), alternatively go for a more expensive controller (hw RAID) like 3ware, especially if you need to attach MANY disks.

Integrated chipset controllers are usually not limited with the PCI/PCIe bus bandwidth. That is major benefit. Modern ICH10 controller with modern AHCI driver beats almost everything else now. I am not speaking about old crap, working in legacy emulation mode.

Marvell doesn't produce consumer devices, only chips, and so it doesn't provide end-user support. While FreeBSD driver for Marvell working, it is very limited now.

Back