Solved FreeCAD

Hi!

After long time of using wifes computer with FreeCAD and I try it to compile today and looks like wifes computer will be good still because FreeCAD for whatever reason needs QT5-engine which needs Python 2.7. I thought we are done with version 2.7 but no. Is it possible to install FreeCAD withou qt5-engiine and avoid Python 2.7, please?

Thank you.

I just installed and started FreeCad. It runs fine here. And it did not pulled in python2.
Only python37.
Do you use FreeBSD-13.0-RELEASE ?

Take a look at /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk, the line PYTHON_DEFAULT? tells you your current default version. Should at least be 3.7 or 3.8 if your ports tree is up to date.
Check /etc/make.conf too, there may be an override there.

Take a look at /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk, the line PYTHON_DEFAULT? tells you your current default version. Should at least be 3.7 or 3.8 if your ports tree is up to date.
Check /etc/make.conf too, there may be an override there.
In /usr/ports/MK/bsd.default.versions.mk I have Python 3.8 default and there are also PYTHON2_DEFAULT?=2.7. If commented 2.7 then FreeCAD cannot build. In /etc/make.conf I do not have anything related to Python.

I'm a FreeCAD user and on FreeBSD I build it myself from ports (using poudriere).
The default configuration works out of the box for me.

Did you modify the build options/configuration?

OpenSCAD is not bad. It requires scripting ability though.

cad/freecad -> www/qt5-webkit -> www/qt5-webchannel -> www/qt5-webengine

On a blank machine the FreeCAD package pulls in 281 other packages, but no lang/python27; The old Python port is just a build dependency of www/qt5-webengine, and can be removed afterwards again.

OpenSCAD is not bad. It requires scripting ability though.
Thank you. I knew about it but I need just for simple things and FreeCAD is good for me but anywhere I do not understand why it needs cad/freecad -> www/qt5-webkit -> www/qt5-webchannel -> www/qt5-webengine, sound...

Thank you. I knew about it but I need just for simple things and FreeCAD is good for me but anywhere I do not understand why it needs cad/freecad -> www/qt5-webkit -> www/qt5-webchannel -> www/qt5-webengine, sound...
You may be better build with ports and set make.conf e.g. to use only python37.

That will reduce the number of dependences it will pull be in buildtime or runtime dep. Pkg install will request for tonnes; like I saw it above that it needed 289 deps.

You may be better build with ports and set make.conf e.g. to use only python37.
Won't help - python27 is an explicit build dependency named with "27" in the Makefile - you cannot built it with python37 or python38.

Won't help - python27 is an explicit build dependency named with "27" in the Makefile - you cannot built it with python37 or python38.
I won't expect that it must by python=python37 but python=+python37. Building via ports reduces the deps that come with its installation let alone cleaning up for unnecessary pkgs.

I don't see how this is relevant for this topic.
FreeCAD and OpenSCAD are not interchangable products anyway.
Thanks Joel. It must have been informational to one or more other members.

Other relevant texts on how to fix the problem were subsequently posted.

I did install FreeCAD with success and after installation removed Python27. It works.

Thank you for help.

Have you updated your repository?
Code:
root@kg-vm5:~ # freebsd-version -ku
13.0-RELEASE-p1
13.0-RELEASE-p2
root@kg-vm5:~ # pkg search freecad
FreeCAD-0.19.1                 General purpose 3D CAD modeller
FreeCAD seems to be there. Also, FreshPorts reports that a FreeCAD package is available for FreeBSD 13.0 on the amd64 and aarch64 architectures

May I ask you, how you did this? Unfortunately FreeCAD is not in my FREEBSD-13.0 repository (any more)? Do I need some extra repository?

Attachments

• fc.2.jpg
    fc.2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 125
  • fc.jpg
    fc.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 110
Back