FreeBSD12R, kde5 with wayland, any way?

pkg install kde5
The command is executed successfully, downloaded about 5GB, including something about wayland.
What to do next?

I have read the doc, nothing about wayland there.

I tested Wayland + Sway (found an experimental port on SVNWeb, fixed a couple of further bugs myself) on FreeBSD around a year ago on CURRENT, it works, at least worked, haven't tried ever since.
Currently only the GNOME3 port supports it, while, of the huge
kde5 meta package, only the screenlocker has been reported working properly, see Graphics/Wayland on FreeBSD wiki.
Vulkan API is supported on Wayland too, amdgpu only as always
freebsd-ports-dank has several useful tips and fixes on Wayland usage

I tested Wayland + Sway (found an experimental port on SVNWeb, fixed a couple of further bugs myself) on FreeBSD around a year ago on CURRENT, it works, at least worked, haven't tried ever since.
Currently only the GNOME3 port supports it, while, of the huge
kde5 meta package, only the screenlocker has been reported working properly, see Graphics/Wayland on FreeBSD wiki.
Vulkan API is supported on Wayland too, amdgpu only as always
freebsd-ports-dank has several useful tips and fixes on Wayland usage
I think it's more suitable as a server instead of a desktop, or TrueOS is a good choice.
Thanks.

Right honorable member jronald, a painful pilgrimage you have begun indeed. Onward, I can only propound that much time reading and emotional resources will be required.
Much effort is needed, but it seems not so efficient to get things done. I've been using Windows 10 again, and I'll try TrueOS later.
Thanks.

Wayland/KDE5 in FreeBSD is a work in progress. There are basically two devs working (plus some others helping when possible) to maintain the whole KDE suite, CMake, Qt4 (deprecated now), Qt5, some related software, and a few more things.

Back