Solved freebsd-zfs vs apple-zfs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 66267
  • Start date
Windows is never free. Do you mean free-trial?
There's no trail period anymore. You can skip the activation indefinitely these days. If I recall correctly the only feature that doesn't work on a non-activated Windows is changing the background and even that can be circumvented. And no, you don't need a crack or some other illegal piece of kit.

There's no trail period anymore. You can skip the activation indefinitely these days. If I recall correctly the only feature that doesn't work on a non-activated Windows is changing the background and even that can be circumvented. And no, you don't need a crack or some other illegal piece of kit.
Perhaps I left the Windows world for too long so I was not informed. Thank you for this information.

Side note: apple-zfs could also be a Solaris /usr partition – they somehow use the same GUID for partition type.

This is because Apple was going to use ZFS directly from Sun (like they did with DTrace) to replace HFS+ and sometime between 10.5 and 10.6 it got canned as a feature (Probably because of the Oracle acquisition and the license weirdness) and almost a decade later Apple had rolled their own: APFS

This is because Apple was going to use ZFS directly from Sun (like they did with DTrace) to replace HFS+ and sometime between 10.5 and 10.6 it got canned as a feature (Probably because of the Oracle acquisition and the license weirdness) and almost a decade later Apple had rolled their own: APFS
The transition in R&D from HFS to APFS happened much earlier than the rollout of APFS. I know that Apple was significantly staffing up file system engineering already 10 years ago, and it's unlikely that was for HFS+ maintenance.

The funny thing is: If you had asked me in ~2005 or 2010 whether there is a point working on single-node single-disk file systems, I would have said "no, those are completely a solved problem". APFS proves otherwise, there is still work to do there.

Sadly, it seems people are thinking the part of "Disk space is cheap"; so why bother separating things apart. Even on Linux, lately it has been becoming more of a requirement that everything has to be on the same disk (logically or physically). Like you use to be able to have /usr on a separate disk/partition but now you are required to have it on the root drive to even boot.

Anymore, I prefer Freebsd's way on organizing stuff; especially on a clear division on what is the core and what is more of an additional "add-on".

Back