FreeBSD won't boot from DVD

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

So first I put in the DVD. Everything goes okay until it tries to boot. When I press ENTER it shuts down the computer. The computer is an HP Pavilion ZV5000. AMD processor. NetBSD installs okay.

Let's start with basics. Which DVD did you use--what version of FreeBSD and for which architecture?

wblock@ said:
What shows on the screen when the DVD boots? What is it asking when you press Enter?

Boot menu. Press enter to boot.

If I wait for 10 seconds, it boots for me.

Please give more details so we won't have to guess. Is it the FreeBSD boot menu? If so, that means the kernel loaded. I've had trouble with ACPI on HP notebooks, but would not expect that to be a problem on a P4 machine from 2004.

The FreeBSD Laptop Compatibility List is always worth checking. It does not have an entry for the ZV5000, but does have one for the ZV5131 from the same era. There are some suggestions for settings that it needs: http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/index.html?action=show_laptop_comment&commentid=1153&laptop=846.

Please read your private messages about message formatting. It is getting tiring having to edit every one of your posts.

mlb2013 said:
I did the instuctions and it says:
Code:
CPU doesnt't support long mode

That means you downloaded the amd64 version, but that old Pentium 4 does not support 64-bit mode. Download and use the i386 version.

wblock@ said:
That means you downloaded the amd64 version, but that old Pentium 4 does not support 64-bit mode. Download and use the i386 version.

1. It's an AMD Althon XP-M CPU.
2. I DID download the i386 edition.

Okay, but "Does not support long mode" is what it says when you try to run 64-bit instructions on a 32-bit processor, and the Mobile Athlon XP-M is a 32-bit processor. What was the name of the file you downloaded?

wblock@ said:
Okay, but "Does not support long mode" is what it says when you try to run 64-bit instructions on a 32-bit processor, and the Mobile Athlon XP-M is a 32-bit processor. What was the name of the file you downloaded?

FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso

Download FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso and try again. Or try the FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img on a USB memory stick.

Sorry for the late reply. I ordered some DVD-RW's and they're are on their way. Also,the computer can't boot from USB.

Back